Terms of Reference for Advocacy Manager
Position Title: Global ECD Advocacy Manager
Reports to: ECDAN Executive Director
Start Date: As soon as possible — position to remain open until filled
Salary/daily rate: Negotiable
Job Type: Consultant
Launched in 2016 by UNICEF and the World Bank Group, the Early Childhood Action Network (ECDAN) is a global network that connects, gathers, disseminates, and advocates for cross sector solutions to improve the overall wellbeing of young children and families, so that every young child is safe, well-nourished, healthy, happy and learning.
Since its inception in 2016, hundreds of members of the early childhood development (ECD) community have contributed recommendations for the type of network needed by the ECD community to advance the goals of its agenda — moving from science to scale and accelerating progress towards achieving the relevant Sustainable Development Goals for early childhood development.
The ECDAN secretariat seeks to engage an Advocacy Manager to be an integral part of the ECDAN secretariat working with ECDAN partners and networks across the world. The Advocacy Manager will be a global influencer and thought leader shaping the advocacy agenda to scale up ECD. The Advocacy Manager will lead and be responsible for managing and executing the ECDAN’s advocacy strategy with a laser focus on increasing awareness of, political commitment for, and financing of ECD on a global scale, working towards the goal of increasing and sustaining international and domestic political support for, and investments in, evidence-based early childhood development (ECD) policies and programs that will accelerate progress toward reaching the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, with particular focus on the targets that ensure that young children in low- and middle-income countries thrive.
Essential Qualifications, Experience & Attributes
The Advocacy Manager will support the ECDAN secretariat with the following tasks:
Strategy and implementation
- Lead the execution of ECDAN’s advocacy strategy, implementation plan, and monitoring plan in coordination with ECDAN’s partners, including global, regional, and national networks.
- Catalyze and follow-through on advocacy campaigns that work to increase visibility of ECD.
- Track and analyze key global policy developments and trends relevant to ECD
Partnerships and networking
- Build and manage partnerships and alliances to define, advance, and refine ECDAN’s advocacy and influence strategy
- Engage directly with key stakeholders and other networks to develop co-created messages and campaigns, cultivate and leverage advocacy champions, launch advocacy-related events and stakeholder engagements, deploy strategic communications, speak and publish across influential and high- level platforms
- Lead in the organization and execution of advocacy events with planning, logistics and coordination with external stakeholders.
- Manage high profile engagements on ECD at the global level including influencing agendas to increase awareness and political commitment.
- Share and leverage evidence regarding ECD in ECDAN’s advocacy messaging writ large, including through ECDAN’s knowledge platform
- Generate and manage ECDAN’s advocacy calendar, content and campaigns.
Communications and media
- Act as spokesperson along with the Executive Director and represent ECDAN to key constituencies
- With support from the Communications Associate, write and edit advocacy materials such as talking points, press releases, blogs, op-eds etc.
- Communicates and influences effectively
- Cultivates innovation, with high level of accuracy and attention to detail with cross culturally sensitivity
- Action oriented with problem solver mentality and ability to seamlessly adapt to changing priorities
- Values differences and is adaptable to changing priorities and deadlines
- Problem solver
- Master’s degree and minimum of seven years of experience with the design and implementation of advocacy strategies to influence policy at national, bi-lateral, or multilateral levels, or bachelor’s degree with ten+ years of experience
- Knowledge of ECD and development issues at the global level.
- A track record in leading or developing and supporting effective advocacy campaigns to influence policymakers, NGOs, and other external stakeholders.
- Experience in building and managing partnerships and alliances to advance and refine influence strategy.
- Strong analytical, writing, editing and verbal skills for communicating with broad and diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to cultivate contacts and build genuine partnerships with international groups and networks
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills, ability to multi-task and pay attention to detail.
- Creative problem solver with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work autonomously combined with experience working remotely and in support of programs abroad.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment for a growing, dynamic network.
- Flexibility, self-motivation and the ability to be a team player and work independently.
- Possesses a spirit of intellectual curiosity, creativity, and innovation.
Duration of Task Completion
The assignment is by contract for initially 6 months and duration will be from signing the contract to September 15, 2020. The contract may be extended depending on performance and availability of funding.
Procedure for Submission of Expression of Interest
Interested consultants should submit the following documents to email@example.com with the subject “Advocacy Manager”:
- An updated resume highlighting your specific relevant experience
- An application letter including remuneration requirements (daily rate).
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Deadline for applications is February 25, 2020
About the OrganizationOur Vision
A world in which children realize their rights and achieve their potential.
HELP deprived, excluded and vulnerable children have the capacity to improve their lives and the opportunity to become young adults, parents and leaders who bring lasting and positive change in their communities.
PROMOTE societies whose individuals and institutions participate in valuing, protecting and advancing the worth and rights of children.
ENRICH supporters’ lives through their support of our cause.
Today, worldwide, 570 million children live in extreme poverty.
All children — including those 570 million — have rights to the support, protection and care they need to grow up healthy and strong. As a child-focused international development organization, ChildFund exists to change underlying factors that prevent children from fully experiencing these rights.