Metrics for Management seeks a qualified Global Health Data Analyst to support research and technical assistance activities under the direction of the Director of Research and Technical Assistance. The Research & Technical Assistance Division allows Metrics for Management to respond to local inquiries from NGO leadership and Ministries of Health to implement metrics from our existing portfolio, to adapt or create locally responsive metrics, and to conduct rigorous research studies on service delivery performance. The Data Analyst will advance critical metric development, testing, and support initiatives that seek to improve the measurement, understanding, and delivery of health services.
Current areas of focus are equity, family planning, maternal, adolescent and child health, abortion, and health financing. In addition, all Metrics for Management team members are encouraged to propose new metric opportunities, as well as refinements and additions to our current suite of metrics.
The successful candidate will have opportunities to publish articles, attend and present at international conferences, and use and learn a variety of quantitative and qualitative research and analysis techniques.
The Data Analyst’s roles include:
• Conduct reproducible and well documented data analysis, including using techniques such as multivariate regression, hazard models, and principal components analysis.
• Conduct basic qualitative data analysis, including developing codes and coding transcripts, and synthesizing findings.
• Manage updates to existing metrics, such as the EquityTool.
• Support research study implementation in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs), including setting up systems for data quality control, creating sampling frames and training data collectors.
• Draft background papers, literature reviews and support technical proposal development.
• Engage in report writing, and presentations to report on research results.
• Participate in inter-organization working groups to develop research tools responsive to stakeholder needs.
The qualified candidate will have the following credentials:
• Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, demography, statistics, data science or a related field and 3 years of related professional experience.
• Strong capacity in data analysis and statistical analysis, including extensive knowledge of a statistical analysis program such as Stata or R. Demonstrated ability to independently learn new data analysis programs or techniques.
• Subject matter experience in maternal, reproductive or primary health care, with preference for experience in a LMIC context.
• Experience participating in the design and implementation of population-based primary data collection.
• Fluency in English. Other language abilities are beneficial.
• Excellent written, verbal and inter-personal communication skills.
• Outstanding time management skills; ability to negotiate complex and overlapping timelines to meet deadlines and advance concurrent projects.
• Significant attention to detail; ability to hold self and others to high standards.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, flexible job environment and to handle multiple tasks and details simultaneously.
• Exercise sound and timely judgment and take initiative, action, and responsibility for project activities, as required.
• Ability to work independently and as a team.
• Energy and enthusiasm to take on new responsibilities and grow with Metrics for Management.
• Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally up to 15% of the time.
Expected travel: Up to 15%
Remote or in-person, with ability to work standard US East Coast Business hours and regularly meet in-person in Baltimore, MD.
Preference for full-time presence in Baltimore, MD office.
Metrics for Management offers highly subsidized health, vision, and dental insurance, plus a 3% contribution to your SIMPLE IRA retirement account. In addition, employees accrue up to 3 weeks of vacation each year. We also offer 10 holidays, as well as sick days.
To apply, please submit:
1. Cover letter
3. Contact information for three references
with the subject line “Data Analyst.” Only complete applications will be considered.
Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
About the Organization
Metrics for Management develops and promotes the adoption of measurement indicators and tools for use in the management of health facilities, health service NGOs, and local governmental administrative agencies in low- and middle-income countries.
Metrics for Management’s mission is to create evidence-based and standardized performance measures to improve health services in LMICs.
We work to assure accurate and relevant data is collected, that common metrics are agreed on to measure performance, and that those metrics are widely disseminated and used. We develop easy-to-implement, easy-to-understand, real-time performance metrics to help managers assess and improve the performance of their own program, institution, facility, or district. Metrics for Management provides technical assistance to refine performance measures in development and to assist implementers in the application, adaptation, and development of performance measures to meet local program needs.
Please visit our website at www.m4mgmt.org to learn more about our work and current projects.