Helvetas is looking for a Local Governance Advisor for an upcoming governance activity in Ethiopia. Through this activity, USAID/Ethiopia seeks to strategically use its convening power and limited resources to support Ethiopian stakeholders from government, civil society and the private sector in applying locally-led, problem-driven, adaptive approaches to address the objectives outlined below:
- Objective 1: Sub-national government ability to meet citizen needs strengthened; and
- Objective 2: Citizen engagement in governance enhanced.
- Serves a central role in coordinating and collaborating with key personnel, senior Government of Ethiopia officials, and local government officials to fulfill the expected outcomes under the proposed objectives 1 and sub-objective 2.1;
- Responsible for facilitating intergovernmental dialogue to improve and clarify relationships and responsibilities between levels of government;
- Support local governments in introducing more effective, accountable and participatory management and service delivery practices; and
- Serve as an advocate for local government officials to develop their skills and incentives to best address the needs and trust of citizens.
- Advanced degree in political science, international development, or a related field;
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in development working with government bodies and managing governance strengthening programs;
- Work experience with the Government of Ethiopia and subnational governments;
- Demonstrated ability to establish productive relationships with local government officials in support locally-determined development priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to engage local stakeholders, including civic groups, private sector, traditional and religious leaders, and community structures in planning and budgeting processes;
- Previous work experience in Ethiopia;
- Strong familiarity and understanding of USAID policies and procedures;
- Strong communication skills, in written and oral English; and
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to successfully convene diverse, multidisciplinary groups.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by sending their application to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2021.
About the Organization
Founded in 1955, HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation (Helvetas) is the largest Swiss international development NGO. With about 300 projects worldwide, Helvetas is present in 30 countries around the world initiating real change in the lives of over three million disadvantaged people each year. As a politically and denominationally neutral organization, Helvetas works in developing, emerging, and transitioning countries to improve the livelihoods and living conditions of the poor and disadvantaged people. Our areas of work include Skills, Jobs, and Income; Water, Food, and Climate; and Voice, Inclusion, and Cohesion. In partnership with public and private actors, Helvetas amplifies the voices of local communities and enhances the space for civil society and private sector actors to meaningfully participate in decision-making processes while developing capacities of public institutions to deliver socially inclusive and gender-responsive services, and articulate transformative policies.