Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI, and demonstrating the core values in their day to day operations.
The Governance Specialist/Sr. Specialist serves as part of a Center for Global Impact, serving a multi-faceted role as program developer and implementer. S/he develops program ideas and drafts proposals on a range of governance themes, subsequently supporting program implementation through a range of activities. S/he consults with regional program teams based in Washington D.C. and in field offices on governance program. S/he manages a governance program and works closely with the Senior Governance Manager in program management and business development.
- Undergraduate degree (Masters or higher for Sr. Specialist) in political science, public administration, international relations or related field.
- 3-5 years (5-7 for Sr. Specialist) professional experience in in democratic governance, politics, government or international development.
- Demonstrated experience working with U.S. Government funded projects and familiarity with USG regulations and processes.
- Experience with program management, project implementation and budgetary oversight.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet program goals.
- Demonstrated exceptional organizational and detail-oriented skills.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal, research, and written/oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated exceptional ability to operate under strict deadlines and ability to easily shift priorities.
- Willingness and ability to travel to challenging environments, up to 20% of the time.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
- Oversees implementation of specific programs and grant(s).
- Understands assigned grant’s substantive, financial and compliance requirements.
- Supports efforts to ensure that grants are in compliance with grant agreements and completed on time.
- Monitors and ensures proper tracking of budgets and program expenditures to ensure that IRI projects remain within budget allocations and leads regular team budget analysis discussions.
- Oversees and participates in all monitoring and evaluation efforts for grants assigned.
- Works closely with the Senior Manager in the management of governance programs related to anti-corruption, public sector management and other related topics. S/he will also be responsible for managing budgets, report writing and the creation of training materials, curricula and other tools.
- Works closely with the Senior Manager in providing cross-divisional technical advice and supporting business development efforts, including proposal writing.
- Manages the Governance baseline thematic portfolio and builds expertise around governance innovative approaches.
- Travels as needed for program oversight and implementation.
- Represents IRI at external events.
- Maintains an understanding of funder and IRI policies and procedures related to grant and project implementation and compliance.
- Participates in cross functional teams and initiatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
About the Organization
IRI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization committed to advancing freedom and democracy worldwide by helping political parties to become more issue-based and responsive, assisting citizens to participate in government planning, and working to increase the role of marginalized groups in the political process – including women and youth.