POSITION TITLE: Grants Officer
LOCATION: Almaty, Kazakhstan
GROUP: Human Rights, Education and Empowerment
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party
The Grants Officer will oversee the subaward and grants component of the Safe Migration in Central Asia project. The Safe Migration in Central Asia project is a 5-year USAID-funded project implemented in Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan by Winrock International. The project uses evidence-based practices and cross-border connections to strengthen the mutual accountability and effectiveness of governments, NGOs, and the private sector in their efforts to prevent trafficking-in-persons, protect survivors and promote safe migration.
The Grants Officer will be responsible for ensuring the effective planning, implementation and monitoring of grants and subawards under the project. He/She will be responsible for leading the process for soliciting and evaluating proposals, conduct pre-award due diligence, support review of financial reports from grantees, and strengthen the capacity of grantees to comply with award terms and conditions.
- Support COP and Country Coordinators in developing terms of reference for grant opportunities
- Publicize grant opportunities, and support the proposal review process
- Review and organize grants applications, proposals, and responses to solicitations, and communicate with applicants on their applications as directed by the Grants Officer
- Lead and facilitate the formation and activities of grants review panels consisting of multi-disciplinary teams with relevant expertise and expertise
- Conduct pre-award assessments, coordinate review and document findings to inform the final selection decisions for grantees and sub-contractors
- Work with selected partners, project staff, and the Home Office to develop, as needed, capacity development plans to address any issues identified as part of the pre-award assessment
- Draft sub-agreements and liaise with the partner on signing
- Coordinate preparation of all necessary documents for grants, subawards and subcontracts for review and approval by the Home Office and the donor
- Coordinate with relevant Home Office Management team, contracts team, and program staff to develop and negotiate contractual documents related to grants. Organize and facilitate portions of post-award orientations for subrecipients
- Review and validate partner reports, maintain the subaward tracker of deliverables and finances, flag arising issues for resolution
- Coordinate with program and finance staff on financial and performance reporting and supporting documentation as per Winrock and donor requirements
- Ensure timely internal review and clearance of all financial documentation and reporting associated with grants.
- Ensure timely and accurate payments are made to partners throughout life of the sub-grants. As needed support development of grant and sub-award modifications
- Visit grantees’ offices and project activities as necessary to assess compliance and ensure correct systems and filing are present
- Provide guidance and advice to grantees and program staff on compliance issues and questions
- Vet all issues outside of standard policies and procedures with Home Office.
- Maintain high ethical standards of integrity; respect confidentiality and represent Winrock International at all times
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or related field
- A minimum of three years’ experience with grants management under USAID or other international donors
- Sound knowledge of international donor financial and accounting regulations and procedures
- Thorough understanding of national regulations on grants by international organizations in target countries
- Experience facilitating external sub-award audits and ensuring compliance with findings and recommendations. Strong workflow management skills; flexibility; good interpersonal and organizational skills for coordinating a variety of tasks simultaneously; attention to detail; team player
Fluency in English and Russian required, knowledge of at least one Central Asia language strongly preferred.
Applicants email a current CV and cover letter referencing Grants Officer by August 14, 2020 to CentralAsiaJobs@winrock.org.
Winrock International is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. EOE/AA
About the Organization
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.