Silk Road Gem Lab and Lapidary
Period of Performance:
June 1, 2020 – May 31, 2021
Place of Performance:
INVEST Afghanistan Strategic Investment Advisor
INVEST is a USAID-funded activity that aims to develop an approach to sourcing, facilitating, and executing illustrative and impactful deals that catalyze private investment capital and build strategic, market-deepening partnerships in Afghanistan. INVEST is currently providing technical and financial assistance to facilitate the formation of a new partnership between private gemstone and jewelry companies, to form the first private gemstone certification lab in Kabul –Silk Road Gem Lab and Lapidary. This new lab will enable Afghanistan to add considerable value to their gemstones. Rather than exporting uncut gemstones at low prices, Afghanistan will be able to certify, cut, process, and finish stones according to international standards that they can then sell on the world market at a competitive price.
The Silk Road Gem Lab (Kabul) is looking to appoint a Head Gemologist to open a rough and polished colored gemstone certification lab as well as train two staff to serve under him/her. The Head Gemologist should have a minimum of five years’ experience and hold a GIA GG or equivalent. The Head Gemologist will manage all the lab’s activities, which will predominantly include issuing identification and origin reports based on detailed and comprehensive material analysis using a wide array of advanced gemological equipment.
The Head Gemologist will be responsible for the following:
- Manage and train a team of two assistant gemologists (with little to no experience) to be able to evaluate and identify rough and polished material
- Assess gemstone characteristics, treatments, stimulants, as well as distinguish between natural and synthetic material using advanced technologies and detailed microscope analysis
- Write detailed reports and analyses on gemstone characteristics, such as transparency, color, inclusion-types, origin, and more
- Establish material origin by cross-referencing an in-house database and by having deep knowledge of Afghan gemstone characteristics and gemology
- Utilize advanced spectroscope and spectrometer machinery, such as UV-VIS-NIR, Raman, FTIR, ED-XRF, and other modern technologies in order to issue accurate and thorough reports
- Use basic gemological equipment, such as microscopes (40-60x magnification), polariscopes, refractometers, spectroscopes, and more
- Work seamlessly with several technological applications such as Blockchain as well as iOS/Android apps in order to track chain of custody and issue remote, online reports
The consultant will report to the INVEST Afghanistan Strategic Investment Advisor who will be responsible for technical supervision and acceptance of all deliverables.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a reputable colored gemstone lab, such as Gubelin, AGL, GRS, SSEF, or similar
- Must be fluent in English; additional fluency in or knowledge of Pashto/Dari is a plus
- Must hold a GIA GG or equivalent
- Specific experience in emeralds and Afghan material is a plus; must also have a vast knowledge of other semi-precious gemstones, such as Tourmaline, Aquamarine, Kunzite, Lapis, and more
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel) is a must
- Experience working with advanced machinery for gemological purposes, such as UV-VIS-NIR, ED-XRF, FTIR, and more
- Familiarity and comfort with adapting to new technological applications, such as Blockchain and potential proprietary apps made for the lab and its customers is a plus
Interested applicants may apply by sending a CV to USAID_INVEST@dai.com.
About the Organization
DAI is an employee-owned global development company. For 40 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governments, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 60 countries. Our integrated development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines—crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS and disease control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.