Head of Programs, Philippines
- In collaboration with the Country Representative (CR) provide leadership and strategic direction for the design of CP strategic frameworks and plans, including the development of resource mobilization strategies to optimize the impact of large and complex programming interventions in line with regional and agency strategic priorities. Represent and promote CRS.
- Lead high-quality project design with innovative approaches that incorporate project management standards and MEAL methods, appropriate to the scope, context, and technical requirements of large and complex projects. Contribute to the complete rollout and consistent usage of project management standards. Lead planning of activities across projects from different sectors to ensure integration and efficiency in implementation.
- Effectively manage senior programming talent. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching and mentoring for Program Managers, Communications staff, Business Development Specialist, and the sub-Regional Head of Programs. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports. Contribute to developing staffing plans for large and complex projects and to the recruitment process of senior project staff. Participate in Global and Regional HOP community of practice.
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Promote accountability, learning and knowledge management overseeing application of the MEAL standards and policies, as well as cross-sectoral and cross-department learning.
- Coordinate with CP Head of Operations and other CP and Regional Management Quality staff to ensure appropriate project budgeting and efficient use and stewardship of project materials and financial resources.
- Lead the business development cycle of increasingly complex, strategic, and competitive growth opportunities from proposal development to learning and marketing, in order to ensure quality proposals per agency and donor standards.
- Lead the identification, assessment and strengthening of appropriate partnerships and the appropriate application of partnership principles, tools and approaches.
- Ensure technical assistance and capacity strengthening for project teams and partners in project management standards and related MEAL, business development and operational activities. Identify training opportunities, develop training curricula, and deliver trainings.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or relevant field.
- Minimum of 10 years work experience in a program management position with progressive responsibilities for an international NGO, including at least three years successful performance in a Head of Programming position.
- Strong experience in project grants management for large and complex projects, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc., for projects funded by multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Substantial experience with successful business development activities capturing significant public and private donor funding, including proposal coordination, proposal writing, and agreement negotiation.
- Excellent spoken and written English skills. Ability to effectively represent the Agency in a variety of public and private forums.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Experience working with Church partners a plus.
- Staff management experience and competencies that are conducive to fostering an open learning environment. Experience coaching and mentoring senior program staff.
- Experience and abilities in capacity strengthening - developing curricula and facilitating trainings.
- Experience using MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information and budget management systems, and knowledge sharing networks.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound decisions under pressure.
- Strong relationship management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in applying tailored approaches to each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching/mentoring skills
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language
Up to 40% travel, including visits to 4-5 sub-offices within the Philippines, periodic visits to sub-Regional countries, Regional meetings, and workshops.
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: Emergency Program Manager, SUCCESS Urban Disaster Risk Reduction Program Manager, MEAL Program Manager, Sub-Regional Head of Programming, FSM Program Manager, Sub-Regional Business Development Specialist
Internal: Head of Operations, Heads of Offices, Country Managers, Deputy Regional Director for Programs, Regional Technical Advisors, HQ PIQA team, other ESA HOPs
External: Church hierarchy, sub-recipient partners, Government of the Philippines representatives, UN Agencies, consultants, US government and other donor representatives
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Trusting Relationships
- Professional Growth
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.