Cambodia has been a member of the ASEAN Economic Community (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) since 2015. So far, trade with other ASEAN countries remains weak and Cambodia profits from economic benefits of this common market in a limited way. Improved opportunities for regional trade including the integration into regional value chains as well as attracting investment from the region have not yet materialized.
The Cambodian government aims at implementing numerous regional commitments as well as adapting national strategies and action plans, national regulations and procedures. The implementation of these highly complex reform processes poses significant challenges to core stakeholders, including government actors and the private sector.
The ASEAN Regional Integration Support to Cambodia, co-funded by the EU, improves legislative and regulatory preconditions as well as and supports a stronger involvement of the private sector to strengthen Cambodia’s integration in the regional ASEAN market. It supports processes and organizational development as well as provides targeted training offers to enhance implementation of trade facilitating measures. In addition, it strengthens the capacity of the Ministry of Commerce, Customs Department and other relevant public actors to design and implement trade policy measures and it supports small and medium-sized enterprises in rural and semi-urban areas to play a stronger role in regional and international value chains.
As the head of the project, you will be responsible for the implementation of the project from a strategic, financial and technical perspective. This includes managing one co-financing arrangements with the EU for EUR 7.5 million. More specifically, it includes the following activities:
- Contact for specialized directorates of the Ministry of Commerce, Ministry of Economiy and Finance and Ministry of Industry and its regional structures, as well as other partners such as SMEs, chambers and associations
- Steer and adapt the overall project based on partner’s developments and changing needs, in close collaboration with partners.
- Overall technical oversight on topics including trade policy and regional trade integration, SME export promotion and value chains. Technical and strategic expert advice to partners on trade facilitation implementation.
- Representation of the project in relevant national and regional working groups
- Cooperate and develop/maintain partnerships (including possible, additional co-funding streams) with other donors, economic partners and their organizations as well as within German development cooperation
- Ensure impact monitoring and reporting to BMZ and EU
- Recruit staff and external specialists, manage a sub-contracted consulting firm (component 3) and provide leadership, guidance and capacity development to a team of twelve national and international staff as well as support the partners’ designated ARISE+ teams (approx. 7 staff)
- Conduct close budget management for the overall project and monitor expenditures
- Support the country director with further developing the bilateral and regional portfolio in the field of trade and economic development
- University degree in business administration, economics or a related subject
- Proven management expertise with many years of experience in the management of complex development cooperation projects (preferably in Asia) or in the private sector
- In-depth knowledge of the management of EU co-financed projects
- Extensive experience of leading multicultural teams including international and national staff, sub-contracted experts as well as close collaboration with national officials as extended team members
- In-depth knowledge of trade facilitation and customs management (core expertise), good knowledge on trade policy, regional economic integration and private sector development and export promotion
- Extensive management skills and a proven record of good financial management
- Excellent diplomatic, communication and networking skills, as well as intercultural competence
- Constructive approach towards dealing with challenges, strong negotiation skills and the ability to cooperate with internal and external partners
- Fluent English, both spoken and written. German desirable
Nationwide Travel might be requested. Phnom Penh is considered safe and suitable for families. The capital offers good Health care. Good school infrastructure with several international schools is available.
The position requires a willingness to travel to the provinces in a professional capacity.
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
About the Organization
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.