Devex is currently assisting the Caribbean Development Bank in their search for their Head, Private Sector Division who will be responsible for working within the Projects Department, and with the wider Bank team to support the execution of the Strategic Plan (2020-24) as it relates to an expanded focus and role of the Bank in the Private Sector. The successful candidate will be based at CDB’s headquarters in St. Michael, Barbados.
THE PROJECTS DEPARTMENT
The Projects Department (PD) is accountable for the pipeline and portfolio of capital and Technical Assistance (TA) projects. PD is responsible for the identification, appraisal and supervision of all capital and TA projects and sector loans in the Bank’s portfolio. In addition, the Department is responsible for monitoring and reporting on the status of the Bank’s loan portfolio; for the preparation of sector analyses and policy papers, delivery of capacity development training in the Borrowing Member Countries (BMCs) in the areas of project development, project management and macroeconomic management; and for provision of assistance to micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs).
The work of the Department is delivered through three Divisions and three Units, each providing a focus on one of the following – the social sector, economic infrastructure, the private sector, environmental sustainability and procurement policy.
THE PRIVATE SECTOR DIVISION
The Private Sector Division (PSD) is a new division. Its operations will be anchored in the Private Sector Development Policy and Strategy which is focused on two parallel and mutually reinforcing tracks; supporting the development of the MSME sector and the building of a broader ecosystem for private sector development in the BMCs of the Bank using TA, direct lending and public-private partnerships (PPPs). The focus of the Division will be driven by the current Strategic Plan and will include:
- The provision of a range of support mechanisms to MSMEs.
- A new approach to intermediary lending, through both Development Finance Institutions and other potential partners.
- Direct private sector lending through the Bank’s Ordinary Capital Resources window and the leveraging of partnerships with other International Financial Institutions.
- The provision of support for PPPs, including lending undertaken in collaboration with partners.
The role is designed to bring consolidated leadership of the Bank’s resources in respect of the private sector portfolio. Reporting to the Director, Projects Department, the Head will lead CDB’s vision to be transformative in this space, from an internal perspective, in terms of working culture and process efficiencies, and externally, through the provision of products, advisory services and through leadership with positive impacts in the economies of the region. Major aspects of the role include:
- Defining, documenting and communicating the strategy of PSD and implementing new processes to increase the efficiency and impact of CDB’s support to the private sector. This is inclusive of elaborating the terms of reference and activities of the Division.
- Ensuring the effective implementation of a portfolio of CDB-funded capital and TA projects from Board approval to project completion, inclusive of reviewing and presenting new lending and TA operations to CDB’s governing bodies in collaboration with other divisions in the Projects Department, where relevant, and identifying opportunities for partnerships to access grants and concessional funding to support private sector activities.
- Ensuring compliance to all governance and risk parameters and frameworks as well as participating in regular reviews of these to ensure ongoing best practice capability.
The job will require the Head to:
Communicate the strategy of PSD:
- Capture the vision of CDB’s management and Board to establish a consensus on what CDB should achieve with regard to its support to the private sector;
- Prepare an organisation structure resulting from the agreed strategic output, including the policy objectives, terms of reference and guidelines for the Division and the roles of respective team members; and
- Establish changes to the Divisional structure (if applicable) and define the types of product and/or activity that will be deployed by the Division.
Define and Implement new processes to improve efficiencies and impact of CDB’s support to the private sector:
- Review CDB’s private sector operations and identify areas and make proposals to increase the efficiency and impact of CDB’s activities.
Develop and Implement capital and TA projects:
- Assume direct accountability for, and provides team leadership in, the following areas: the development (identification, preparation and appraisal) of capital and TA projects (including PPPs); and the implementation of a portfolio of MSME, capital and TA projects.
Identify Partnership Opportunities to access additional funding to support private sector activities:
- Manage process to establish new partnerships through the review of potential sources of concessional funding, stakeholder engagement and the implementation of new partnership initiatives and agreements.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
The successful candidate must have superior client orientation and inter-personal skills with the proven ability to work cooperatively with multi-disciplinary teams both within and external to the Bank. He/she will have the ability to provide leadership, deliver transformational projects, make decisions based on robust analysis and judgement whilst employing sensitivity and tact, and embody the values of the Bank in their attitudes and behaviour.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting, Business or other relevant discipline and a Master’s degree or equivalent level qualification in any of these fields.
- Significant experience working with private sector lending in an emerging market context, including intermediated lending operations, corporate banking, project finance transactions/public-private partnerships and guarantee products.
- Excellent technical skills and demonstrated track record of operational experience facilitating timely delivery on client requests for lending and TA operations or equivalent activities.
- Excellent understanding of development issues, policies and strategies gained from practice.
- Broad knowledge of the products, services, and processes of a multilateral development bank.
- Excellent understanding of defining strategy, identifying organisational strengths and weaknesses, defining new procedures, and engaging in strategic discussions at Board and senior management level.
- Knowledge of the structure of the private sector and financial services landscape in the Caribbean, including the role and activities of central banks, commercial banks, national development banks, credit unions, international financial institutions and new fintech companies.
- Knowledge of the activities and objectives of multilateral and bilateral development partners active in the region, with a particular focus on organisations providing support to the private sector.
- Experience in implementing organisation change in large organisations with an embedded culture and a wide range of external stakeholders.
- Experience in digital innovation and technology aimed at improving organisations.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate being contracted on a two-year basis, in the first instance, and with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan, and life and medical insurances are included in the benefits package.
Before you proceed to apply, please consider the following requirements:
- You must be a national of one of CDB’s member countries.
- You will be required to produce evidence of any educational and professional qualifications to support your application if you are selected for an interview.
- All appointments are subject to satisfactory background checks and references.
CDB is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex or religion.
CDB fully respects the need for confidentiality of information supplied and assures you that your background and interest will not be discussed with anyone, including references, without your prior consent.
All correspondence, at this stage, should be via Devex. If you wish to apply for this role, please click on the “Apply now” button.