The objective of this assignment is to identify areas placing pressure on the Tonga Wage Bill (Remuneration framework) and where fiscal and HR policy reform options may be provided.
As part of the Government of Tonga’s commitment to more efficient and effective service delivery, maintaining wage bill affordability, and continuous quality improvement as part of its medium to long term public sector reform, the purpose of the review is to further assess the drivers or the sources of the pressure on aggregate wage bill and behind the gradual wage bill growth.
Improving the efficiency of civil service expenditure is a critical area to strengthening fiduciary controls in the public sector and streamlining the public finance management for the Government. Initial assessment point to escalating and high overtime costs whilst at the same time, headcounts continue to grow. The situation is not being sustainably managed with the total wage bill now exceeds the target threshold of 53% of domestic revenues, with an estimate of 61% in FY2020/21 and 62% in FY2021/22. The increase in total wage bill as a percent of domestic revenues is attributed to the decline in the latter due to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
You will be accountable to, and managed by the Chief Executive Officers (CEO) of the Public Service Commission and the Ministry of Finance (MoF), Tonga.
This role is expected to commence in November for 40 input days over a period of 3 months.
· Review the background documentation provided by DFAT, Public Service Commission and Ministry of Finance Tonga and advice of any further documentation required
· Information gathering and consultation across DFAT, Public Service Commission and Ministry of Finance Tonga and World Bank
· Review the policies, rules and procedures (and compliance with these instruments) with a view to strengthening the mechanisms for control and supporting more effective wage bill expenditure management (including daily paid workers)
· HRIS data review and consolidation over Ministries
· Development of remuneration framework and procedure recommendations
· Final Assignment report development and presentation
· Advanced degree in human resource management, public finance, or relevant discipline
Skills, experience, knowledge
· Prior international experience and knowledge in the field of public expenditure management as it relates to Human Resource Management and preferably in the area of civil service reform
· Specific knowledge of development of Government wage bill model (Remuneration Framework) and its implementation systems.
· Successful operational experience in areas of wage bill database management (HRIS) and public expenditure especially in conducting and managing review assignments relating to wage bill modelling and management
· Excellent interpersonal and management skills, the ability to communicate effectively at all levels of government, and function collaboratively in a team environment
· Excellent conceptual ability and writing skills
· Remuneration in line with the ARF – B4 (STA Daily Rates)
· PACTAM2 Program Induction
· Ongoing assignment monitoring and support
Scope Global – Engaged in the present to develop the future
Scope Global is a specialist project management company with people as the focus of its program delivery. We have a history of successfully managing projects in the international development and international education sectors.
The Pacific Technical Assistance Mechanism Phase 2 (PACTAM2) is an Australian Government initiative, funded through the Australian aid program and managed by Scope Global. It places highly skilled Advisers with Partner Governments in participating Pacific Island countries to build capacity and to meet identified human resource needs. If you are interested in other PACTAM2 opportunities and would like to receive updates, please register your interest.
Scope Global recruitment operates under equal employment opportunity principles and laws. We encourage appropriately qualified and experienced people to apply regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, physical ability or beliefs.
Applications will only be accepted via our online application system. For more detailed information on the position and to apply online, please visit https://www.pactam2.com/
Applications close midnight ACST 28th October 2020. No late applications will be accepted.
For more information contact a member of our team at recruitment.PACTAM2@scopeglobal.com
PACTAM2 love to hear from applicants across the region