Role & Responsibilities
Oversee the financial and HR activities of the programme. Responsibility for the accounting functions required to provide accurate and timely information on the financial status of the programme to donors, Hosting NGO and Global Support Office (GSO), field management and field teams according to the agreed on timelines and formats. Organise and further develop the financial processes, managing the finance team, providing coaching and training as required. Recruitment of national HR staff, staff policy development, co-ordination of training and general staff well-being. The Finance and HR Manager also works with field management and GSO on in-country issues for internationally recruited staff.
Medair is working under the registration of World Concern (WC) in Bangladesh and therefore World Concern is the legal representative of Mediar with the Bangladesh National and local authorities. Medair has one main based in Court Bazar and one representation office in Cox`s Bazar. The Country Program has three ongoing projects Nutrition, Health and Shelter with a potential of adding a Water and Sanitation Project depending on funding. The main aim of our project is to provide essential services to the Rohyingya.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Court Bazar, Bangladesh. Take a look at Medair’s work in Bangladesh.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Establish and maintain internal financial procedures compatible with the country’s law, World Concern financial procedures, Medair financial procedures and donor’s requirements.
- Work with and support Budget Holders in budget preparations, revisions, monitoring and follow ups
- Manage day-to-day accounting functions, including regular cash verification, cash advances reconciliations, monthly cashbooks closing and timely submission of accounts to GSO finance desk.
- Responsible for the preparation of draft financial reports for grants implemented and submitting these for the revision of under or over spending and the explanation to be provided to the donors.
- Ensure a controlled and smooth cash flow managing process for the Country Program- promptly advising when replenishment of banks accounts or safe (cash) in the field is necessary.
- Prepare for, manage and support internal and external field financial audits.
- Country Programme focal point for IRS and NRS staff Labour report (LR) monthly exercise.
- Train the local team in basic accounting records and reporting.
Human Resources Management for Nationally Recruited Staff
- Regular review, update and / or develop of employment documentation for nationally recruited staff.
- Support line managers on disciplinary action and grievance procedures and to identify training needs.
- Responsible for all staff induction and orientation on all HR and admin related policies.
- Human resource policies and procedures are maintained, implemented and communicated in line with country legislation and Medair human resource policies.
- Ensure accurate employee records are maintained and update regularly.
- Manage entire employee lifecycle by implementing and maintaining systems related to recruitment, on boarding, case management, staff communication, staff exit management etc.
- Meet the finance and HR related administrative requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, contractors, employees and any other stakeholders, so that the functions run with integrity.
- Prepare the monthly payroll and payments for staff salaries and / or allowances in accordance with local employment regulations, ensuring that all required statutory deductions are made and paid.
- Support the GSO Programme Finance Officer (PFO) in reporting to donors.
- Manage and oversee the programme HR and finance staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Control and manage the security of in-country cash when held on site and when being transferred..
- Conduct regular internal audits and report immediately any possible fraud or theft.
- Participate in HR working group. Coordinate with other NGOs on issues common to the NGOs.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Problem solving ability, excellent communicator, strong organisational and time management skills.
- Good numerical and report writing skills. Able to build trust and enforce procedures.
- Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Strong leadership skills. Coaching and training skills.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
To apply, go to the ”Current Vacancies” page then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.