Requisition ID: req2114
Job Title: Human Resources Lead
Sector: Human Resources
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
The humanitarian situation in Libya has deteriorated since the 2014 civil war. According to the United Nations 2018 Humanitarian Needs Overview, 1.1 million people require lifesaving humanitarian assistance and protection, including an estimated 170,000 internally displaced persons (IDPs), 401,000 migrants, refugees and asylum seekers, and 376,000 vulnerable host community. In September 2016, the IRC launched an emergency program in Misrata, Libya that provided medical care, medicines, and medical supplies in hospitals and primary health care centers (PHCCs). Since then, the IRC has expanded its programming to also include the provision of GBV prevention and response services and protection monitoring. The IRC’s programming has also been further expanded to Sirte and Tripoli. The IRC envisages a humanitarian program in Libya targeting refugees, migrants and other war affected populations, with interventions designed to save lives and relieve humanitarian suffering, wi
th a focus on health care and protection services.
The Human Resources Leadis the most senior HR representative in the country program and is responsible for providing leadership coordination for the HR function for over 100 staff across the Libya country program and Tunisia representation office. The HR Lead will lead a geographically dispersed team of HR staff to ensure high quality and efficient staff recruitment, contracts management, orientation, learning and development, performance management, compensation and benefits, code of conduct compliance, employee engagement and staff care. The HR Lead is part of the Senior Management Team (SMT) and serves as an HR advisor to the SMT. The HR Lead reports to the IRC Libya Country Director and has a technical reporting line to the Regional HR Coordinator.
Strategic HR Leadership and Management
* Devise and deliver a planned HR approach to attracting, developing, inspiring and retaining the right people with the right skills to achieve strategic, programmatic results.As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), determine workforce needs, identify human resource and competency gaps, and devise a development and workforce plan to facilitate nationalizing roles and retaining staff.
* Actively participate in proposal design and grants opening and review meetings (GRMs, GOMs) specifically advising on organizational structure, position scoping, demographic/staffing analysis and other inputs critical to ensure strong HR foundation to support program quality.
* Conduct and report on monthly and quarterly strategic HR metrics and analysis to inform SMT and Regional HR decision-making; lead on country program inputs to global HR scorecards.
* Develop candidate rosters, actively network and employ innovative, creative recruiting methods locally, to attract and hire the best talent. Proactively position IRC as an Employer Brand of Choice in the Country.
* Review and approve job position requests, job descriptions and make recommendations, ensuring accuracy, consistency.
* Participate in budget preparation and provide strategic compensation analysis to drive nationalization strategy to attract high-quality local talent.
* In collaboration with the regional HR Coordinator, define and review salary structure; coordinate annual compensation review process and compensation adjustments; Manage benefit plans and communicate updates and conduct information campaigns for national and international staff.
* In close collaboration and partnership with the Regional HR Coordinator, deliver on international HR management, including policy, process and employee relations management
* Oversee HR-related administrative duties and ensure compliance with existing legal and governmental reporting requirements. Ensure all legal obligations are fulfilled.
* Lead the performance management process with guidance from regional and HQ HR. Create a plan to manage annual and mid-year reviews, conduct training on goal-setting, utilize budgets to organize development activities and work one-on-one with managers and employees to create country wide development plans. Through HR initiatives and actions, support a performance driven culture of continuous feedback
* In close collaboration with the regional HR Coordinator, devise staff care action plans that elevate morale and support the social, physical, and psychological well-being of staff; lead emergency staff care interventions.
* Be prepared to provide necessary support and/or lead all employee relations, with the support and guidance from the regional HR, with professional grace with the aim of empowering employees and supervisors to have the tools and resources necessary to resolve conflicts with mutual respect.
* Escalate code of conduct issues, lead or co-lead investigations and ensure issues are resolved and appropriate follow-up is carried out, in partnership with the regional HR and Ethics and Compliance Unit (ECU).
* Advise supervisors in determining appropriate disciplinary plans of action in a judicious manner. Follow-up disciplinary measures and related employment law matters.
* Act as impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labor regulations and requirements.
* Lead exit management procedure to ensure seamless and positive transition for departing employees.
Staff Performance Management and Development
* Serve as a model of supervisory excellence; supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and leading documented semi-annual performance reviews.
* Provide constructive feedback and counsel on career paths and professional development for HR team and IRC staff.
* Support the management, coaching and development of national and international staff to build a cadre of skilled, committed and motivated staff.
* Support senior staff to continue to pursue nationalization of senior and management positions.
* Promote and monitor staff care and well-being. Model healthy work-life balance practices.
* Model and encourage active practice of the principles of the “IRC Way - Global Standards for Professional Conduct” throughout the country program.
* Maintain a healthy and empowering office environment that encourages open, honest and productive communication among IRC staff by delivering an employee engagement and communication strategy.
* Maintain and leverage open communications and partnership on projects and shared goals at the country level, regional HR and HR HQ levels.
* Provide direct support and advise the CD and SMT on staff communications to ensure clear, consistent and transparency in communications.
* Represent IRC in HR working group and with external parties including government units for HR-related matters. Directly liaise with local legal counsel on HR-related matters.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Country Director; Regional HR Coordinator
Position directly supervises: Senior HR Officer (Tripoli), HR Officer (Misrata)
Key Internal Stakeholders:
* Country: Deputy Director Programs; Sr. Field Coordinator; Field Coordinator; Finance Controller; Security Manager; Head of Departments and all staff within Libya and Tunisia
* Regional: Regional staff hosted in Tunisia; Regional VP;
* HQ: Compensation & Benefits, Talent Management and HRIS Directors, General Counsel Office, Ethics & Compliance Unit (ECU).
Key External Stakeholders:
The INGO HR forum; INGO and UN HR staff; Legal counsel; Ministry of Labor and its extensions; other government units as appropriate and needed
* Bachelor’s required. Master’s university degree in HR management, MBA, Law, International Relations, or related field is a plus
* 5 - 8 years of progressive experience as an HR generalist, including recruitment, performance management, compensation, training and development and HR Administration.
* Minimum 3-5 years staff management experience in a fast-paced environment.
* At least 3 years of experience with an international organization or international experience is strongly preferred
* Remote management experience a plus; INGO experience strongly preferred.
* Strategic leadership experience managing an HR function for large budget programs in the INGO sector is strongly preferred.
* Strategic experience with managing staff, global workforce planning, and development of HR processes during a start-up phase is a plus.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
* A commitment to IRC’s mission and vision
* Top-tier written, presentation and verbal communication skills; ability to convey information effectively and solid experience providing training and staff development in English and Arabic.
* Proven sense of professional discretion, integrity, and ability to manage complex HR situations diplomatically and to effective resolution.
* Excellent management, interpersonal and negotiation skills and a demonstrated ability to promote harmonious/cohesive teamwork, in a cross cultural context.
* Proven ability to plan long-term, organize priorities and work under administrative and programmatic pressures with detail orientation and professional grace.
* Highly collaborative and resourceful; ability to establish positive working relationships with senior level management and all other stakeholders to maximize cooperation and productivity.
* Strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint is required.
* Curiosity, a desire to continually learn and develop and a sense of humor is a must.
* Working knowledge of Libyan and Tunisian labor law is required;
* International HR experience is an asset.
* Fluency in English and Arabic is required; additional languages a plus
* Travel: Domestic travel in Libya between the field sites on regular bases.
* Travel to Tunisia every quarter and other international travel for regional conferences, workshops, trainings 1-2 times per year.