The HR Operations Specialist will provide critical support to the HR Operations Unit. Under the guidance of the HR Operations Manager, the Specialist will oversee several administrative components of the unit to help ensure the HR team has the tools, guidance, and resources to operate and serve MSH staff and partners in the most efficient and effective manner.
The Operations Specialist will provide administrative oversight and support to areas including how MSH manages the employee lifecycle (hiring, on-boarding, and off-boarding), process mapping and improvement, HRIS management, employee handbooks, immigration, and compliance, including affirmative action, federal reporting, audit support, etc.
The Operations Specialist will provide backup support to the HR Senior Associate as needed and have dotted line reporting to the HRIS Manager.
Operations and Project Management Support (35%)
- Under the oversight of the HR Operations Manager, assist with planning, coordination and execution HR projects and strategic initiatives designated by the CPCO
- Play an active role in HR-wide initiatives and projects.
- Assist with annual objective setting for the HR team and progress tracking
- Assist with processing mapping initiatives with ultimate objective of optimizing HR processes
- Track internal policies and liaise with relevant parties to keep them updated.
- Assist with HR budget tracking
- Manage POs and invoices related to the unit
- Provide analytical reports related to HR as requested by the organization
- Coordinate with HRIS team to pull data for regular compliance reporting (Vets 4212, EEO, etc). Review data for accuracy and submit to appropriate agencies as required.
- Compile and review data for Affirmative Action Plan reporting. Work across HR team (HR Partners, Recruiters) to implement necessary changes to ensure compliance, including scheduling manager training related to recruitment.
- Liaise with compliance vendors to manage billing and payment.
- Ensure compliance postings are up to date in US facilities.
- With guidance, regularly review US and global employment handbook, including maintenance of global benefits database.
- Stay abreast of local labor law developments.
HRIS Support (25%)
- Under the supervision of the HRIS Manager, work with globally decentralized data entry personnel to promote data accuracy and integrity.
- Assist in development of standard reports for ongoing customer needs. Help maintain data integrity in systems by running queries and analyzing data.
- Assist in the review, testing, and implementation of HRIS system upgrades and implementation of modules. Collaborate with functional and vendor technical staff to coordinate and work through support ticket resolution. Document issues, results, and processes.
- Provide support for HRIS including, but not limited to, researching and resolving HRIS problems, unexpected results or process flaws; perform scheduled activities; recommend solutions or alternate methods to meet requirements.
- Assist with developing user procedures, guidelines and documentation. Train new system users on processes/functionality.
- Coordinate with HR Partner team to maintain regular immigration reporting and issue management.
- Act as a key contact between immigration counsel and employees/their managers to ensure inbound and outbound cases are managed from hire to termination.
- Manage all immigration invoice matters in a timely fashion.
Other duties (5%)
- Provide backstop support to Senior HR Associate
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Bachelor’s degree with focus in Human Resources or Business Management
A minimum of 3 years of related experience, particularly within HR or Operations at an international organization
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to perform administrative work of a complex nature with direction
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to communicate effectively regarding sensitive and confidential matters.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, Human Resources Information Systems, Applicant Tracking Systems, Google Drive
- Excellent English communication skills required in both verbal and written.
- High level of personal integrity, discretion and ethics, with ability to handle appropriately confidential information
- Additional language skills in French advantageous
- Experience in a global organization highly preferred
- Excel skills and prior responsibility for report generation a plus
- Demonstration of ability and motivation to support a diverse team
- Experience in Workday or similar HRIS platforms
- Proactive, pragmatic and resourceful problem solver
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Outstanding project management and problem-solving skills with excellent multi-tasking abilities and attention to detail.
- Customer service oriented skills, with the motivation and ability to function independently or as a team member
- Sense of urgency to ensure the ability to meet deadlines
- A self-starter with the ability to keep projects moving forward
- Ability to prioritize deliverables effectively and independently
- Ability to exercise discretion and sound judgement to protect the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10 lbs.
About the Organization
Management Sciences for Health, an international nonprofit organization, is dedicated to closing the gap between what is known and what is done about public health problems. MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 30 country offices and our US headquarters, our staff from 65 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization composed of more than 2,000 people from 73 nations. Their mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with their partners, they are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
MSH takes an integrated approach to building high-impact sustainable programs that address critical challenges in leadership, health systems management, human resources, and medicines. Simply put, they support stronger health systems for greater health impact.
Their expertise in these areas falls into the broad categories of management functions—for example, leadership and governance or pharmaceutical management—and health areas like tuberculosis or maternal, newborn, and child health. They apply their expertise by
- Partnering with governments, local organizations, and communities in developing nations to build their own capacity for long-term health impact;
- Providing global leadership in critical areas of health management and health care delivery;
- Bringing the best of MSH from around the globe to the people we serve, working as One MSH with a focus on lasting health system improvements.
Leadership, Governance, & Management
They work with in-country partners to build stronger health systems to improve:
- the management and leadership of priority health programs, health organizations, and multisectoral partnerships such as The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, developing a critical mass of managers at all levels of the health system who can lead and inspire teams to achieve results;
- the management systems of health organizations in the public and private sector, transferring practical approaches and skills to ensure that management structures contribute to sustainable organizational success;
- the governance and management of health organizations and multisectoral partnerships, facilitating change and transferring knowledge to enable organizations to administer their resources efficiently and scale up their services.
Health Service Delivery
MSH combines extensive public health expertise, proven service delivery approaches, and evidence-based interventions in five critical areas:
- HIV & AIDS
- Maternal, newborn, and child health
- Family planning and reproductive health
- Other communicable diseases, including malaria and pandemic and avian influenza
Human Resources for Health
MSH helps governments develop multisectoral strategies and policies to plan and manage their health workforces. We use a comprehensive approach that addresses all the facets of human resources for health needed to achieve an adequate supply of well-trained and motivated health workers. MSH offers capabilities in leadership, human resource management, education, partnerships, policy, and finance to achieve these goals.
Vital to our success is a participatory approach to project design and implementation, which cultivates broad-based support from all stakeholders. We also build and improve infrastructure and local capacity to effectively purchase, store, deliver, and use quality essential medicines.
Health Care Financing
MSH helps governments and NGOs assess their current financial situation and systems, understand service costs, and develop initiatives to use existing funds more effectively and generate additional revenue—all with the goal of supporting a nation’s health priorities.
MSH has developed proven methods for rapidly strengthening the analysis and use of existing health data—normally at the province, district, and facility levels—without revising existing recording and reporting requirements. With an emphasis on learning through action, district teams undertake assessments of health services, identify gaps in performance, and design solutions to support better decision-making and, therefore, better management of improved services.
MSH has worked closely with the Health Metrics Network of the WHO to develop a comprehensive approach for enhancing the performance of health information systems and data by employing a practical, strategic planning process that can be carried out by national working groups.