The Humanitarian and Stabilisation Operations Team (HSOT), contracted by Palladium International Ltd, provides the Department for International Development (DFID) with humanitarian services and the UK Government’s Stabilisation Unit (SU) with stabilisation support.
The HSOT maintains a database of humanitarian experts to provide skilled consultants to DFID.
Consultants are contracted by Palladium International Ltd to work alongside Civil Servants and to represent the UK Government when required.
HSOT will match assignment terms of reference to consultants’ profiles. Matched consultants are contacted to verify interest and availability. Consultants may be selected in consultation with DFID colleagues.
The majority of deployments support rapid-onset disasters or complex emergency response. Deployments commonly last between two and twelve weeks. Occasionally assignments may last for six months or more. Consultants may be UK based or deployed overseas.
Terms of Reference - Protection Adviser
Humanitarian protection advisers provide technical support to DFID in delivering the UK’s policy commitments on humanitarian protection, including protection of civilians, violence against women and girls (VAWG), gender equality, disability and inclusion and safeguarding, and complying with the International Development (Gender Equality) Act 2014. They provide specialist humanitarian protection advice, analysis and emergency response support to UK Government officials, including the design, monitoring and review of humanitarian programmes.
Humanitarian Analysis and Advice
* Conduct comprehensive protection risk analysis and monitoring to inform DFID programming for mitigations and solutions and ensure that these are reflected in response strategies and information and communications products
* Ensure that the protection of civilians, humanitarian access, VAWG and protection of vulnerable groups (for example, children, people living with disabilities, older people, and other vulnerable groups) is central to DFID’s humanitarian response, including preparedness
* Make recommendations for protection programmes, including mainstreaming and standalone programmes, in line with best practice, available evidence and UK policy commitments
* Provide guidance on the mainstreaming and embedding of protection into other sector projects and cash-based assistance
* Provide inputs for DFID and cross-HMG policy engagement on protection in natural-hazard disasters; protection of civilians (including medical and humanitarian personnel), IDPs and refugees; and consent for and facilitation of humanitarian access
Quality Assurance and Monitoring
* Design and implement field-based monitoring and evaluation of DFID-funded humanitarian, including protection programmes, with a focus on assessing programme results, system-wide protection outcomes and value for money
* Provide technical reviews of partner’s concept notes, proposals and reports on both targeted protection interventions and humanitarian programmes to ensure the mainstreaming of protection
* Identify and share lessons learned, best practice and innovative approaches on protection to enhance/update HSOT and DFID guidance and advice
* Support the establishment of community engagement and accountability mechanisms, including common service platforms and safeguarding systems and processes
* Support DFID efforts to strengthen prevention of and response to sexual exploitation and abuse
Representation and Relationship Management
* Represent DFID in coordination fora, as appropriate, including donor coordination, the Protection Cluster and Humanitarian Country Teams
* Liaise with relevant DFID departments, country offices and partners, which may include providing humanitarian and protection input into ministerial briefings and communications
* Work with civil service staff to liaise with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) for any legal advice DFID requires on matters relating to humanitarian protection
* Liaise with HSOT Procurement and Logistics Team on supply of NFIs that seek to increase the safety and dignity of crisis-affected people
* Liaise closely with implementing partners, national and local government representatives, UK government bodies, other donors and other relevant actors
DFID Business Support
* Provide technical input to draft submissions, information notes, briefings, and parliamentary correspondence for DFID and HMG, as requested, on protection issues
* Contribute to DFID’s internal lessons learning processes and HSOT humanitarian events
* Establish a system for tracking protection results attributable to DFID
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.