Advancing Universal Health Coverage Project
Based in Dhaka, Bangladesh
ThinkWell is not a traditional development organization. Rather, we are a creative health sector transformation platform that thrives on pushing boundaries and reconceiving possibilities. We work with private equity and venture capital investors, pharmaceutical companies, and large commercial enterprises to leverage resources for shared public value. At the same time, we have a deep understanding of the development arena, working as advisors to ministries of health across the globe and with nearly all major development agencies. Our bottom line is social impact, our approach is entrepreneurship.
The deputy director of incubator operations is responsible for providing strategic oversight, technical guidance, and overall coordination for the Surjer Hashi Group (SHG) Incubator. S/he has lead accountability for incubator operations and ensures that incubator operations remain flexible, nimble, and responsive to the emerging needs of SHN, and coordinates all technical assistance (TA) in support of these needs. S/he will support other technical experts in ensuring that the project meets overall objectives for operations of SHN. The deputy director of incubator operations will have deep knowledge of the Smiling Sun network landscape, and will leverage their wide network and relationships to support the team to establish innovative partnerships for SHN. As a technical expert in transferring administrative and financial management capacity, he will directly oversee all TA related to developing financial management, procurement, HR, and other admin systems for SHG. In collaboration with the Director, Incubator:
- Assume lead accountability for incubator operations and its performance. Drive flexibility and responsiveness of the incubator to the projects evolving needs.
- Develop all relevant operations for SHN, including HR policies and systems, accounting and financial procedures, IT systems, new business processes.
- Ensure a smooth transition of clinics into SHN, making sure staff are aware of and follow SHN standards
- Lead the training initiative to orient SHN staff, Executive Team and Board about various policies, procedures and guidelines as they related to each team
- Direct and supervise incubator activities in conjunction with SHN.
- Provide direct technical assistance and maintain accountability for all TA provided by the incubator operations team.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, including at least 5 years in leadership roles including with donor funded health activities;
- Executive-level experience leading and growing health systems;
- Graduate-level education, with MPA and/or MBA highly desirable;
- Experience/confidence working with a range of funders, including US government, private sector investors, development donors, Government of Bangladesh, and large commercial businesses;
- Willingness to live and work in Bangladesh for at least three years, preferably five;
- Fluent command of English and Bangladeshi.
- Understanding of how to navigate relationships and advocate for bold ideas within complex environments such as ministries of health and large funding organizations;
- Irreverence towards traditional development practices and burning desire to make things happen is required;
- Creative technical approach that pushes boundaries;
- Ability to manage client expectations and deliver on client needs;
- Ability to represent ThinkWell’s expertise convincingly and credibly;
- Ability to advocate for ThinkWell’s role and value during business development negotiations;
- Comfort in speaking to and engaging a range of different audiences on technical concepts;
About the Organization
ThinkWell, formerly Institute for Collaborative Development, is a health systems development organization focused on helping countries to achieve Universal Health Coverage. ThinkWell is a health systems development organization that is in a major growth phase. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space through navigating pathways that will lead to more effective use of public and private resources in the health sector and ultimately better health for all.
Rooted in analytics, ThinkWell employs a “whole-of-systems” approach to health financing. We specialize in five practice areas that intersect with health financing: governance, human resources for health, private sector, public financial management, and research and evaluation.