ThinkWell is not a traditional development organization. Rather, we are a creative health sector transformation platform that thrives on pushing boundaries and reconceiving possibilities. We work with private equity and venture capital investors, pharmaceutical companies, and large commercial enterprises to leverage resources for shared public value. At the same time, we have a deep understanding of the development arena, working as advisors to ministries of health across the globe and with nearly all major development agencies. Our bottom line is social impact, our approach is entrepreneurship. We are looking for an Incubator Director to provide strategic leadership and business advisory services as part of the USAID Bangladesh Advancing Universal Health Care (AUHC) project.
This is a full-time position is based in the Bangladesh AUHC project offices in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Please note: Bangladesh nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a Bangladesh benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
The Bangladesh AUHC project is undertaking the ambitious goal of transforming the Smiling Sun Network of clinics into a consolidated pro-poor social enterprise which has been registered as the Surjer Hashi Network (SHN). The project is taking an Operator-Incubator approach to this task where Chemonics International Inc. leads the Operator providing overall project management and ThinkWell leads the Incubator unit which provides strategic and technical support to the newly established SHN. The Incubator Director is responsible for providing strategic oversight, technical guidance, and overall coordination of the SHN Incubator. Within the project, the Incubator Director reports directly to the AUHC Project Chief of Party and supervises the Deputy Director for Business Operations and Implementation, the Strategic Finance Director and the Innovation and Growth Director.
- The Incubator Director will provide leadership to manage all aspects of the incubator ensuring coordination of its activities with SHN and the Operator with accountability for incubator operations and performance against activity objectives.
- Will ensure that Incubator operations remain flexible and responsive to the emerging needs of SHN and coordinate technical assistance to support these needs.
- Will be responsible for day-to-day decisions for the Incubator and facilitate provision of business development assistance to SHN.
- Supervise the Deputy Director for Business Operations and Implementation to provide technical assistance in the development of financial management, procurement, human resources, and other administrative systems for SHN.
- Supervise and support the Strategic Finance Director to identify and develop revenue diversification opportunities through market and business analysis and then implement resource generation and mobilization plans to support capitalization and resource needs (including private investment, donor funding, debt financing, or government funding).
- Supervise the Innovation and Growth Director to oversee the business idea generation and validation process and the market team that provides support to SHN.
- Engage potential private sector, business, and corporate leaders to advocate for funds to support health service provision for the poor.
- Provide input for overall project landscape analysis, the creation of business plan and the management framework for SHN.
- Ensure the systematic use of scientific and technical knowledge in all activity design, implementation, and monitoring to advance UHC in Bangladesh.
- Contribute to the project’s overall learning agenda
- Respond to ThinkWell Global Headquarters and donor to their queries at regular basis.
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- The candidate will hold an advanced degree in business administration, marketing, law, finance, public health, or another relevant field;
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience, including leadership overseeing and managing growing businesses or startups.
- Comfortable working with a diverse range of donors, including the Bangladeshi government, international government, private sector investors, and large businesses.
- Understand how to leverage partnership to advocate for bold, meaningful ideas within complex policy and regulatory environments to meet activity objectives and service delivery needs of the Bangladeshi people.
- Experience in the leveraging of resources from the private and public sector;
- Experience in business development and revenue generation, such as management/strategic consulting, investment banking, private equity/venture capital, or strategic marketing.
- Experience working with ministries of health and finance and proven track record to knowledgably and effectively interact with both key actors;
- Experience working with donors, governments, or NGOs in international development finance or a related field.
- Experience of living and working in a low-income or lower-middle income country is highly desirable;
- Fluent command of English;
- Willingness to travel is essential.
Skills and Competencies
- Comfortable working with a diverse range of donors, including the Bangladeshi government, international governments, private sector investors, and large businesses. They will understand how to leverage partnerships to advocate for bold, meaningful ideas within complex policy and regulatory environments to meet activity objectives and service delivery needs of Bangladeshi people. Ability to thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment;
- Creative technical approach that pushes boundaries with an understanding of how to navigate relationships and advocate for bold ideas that challenge conventional wisdom within complex environments;
- Strong skills in managing client expectations and delivering to meet client needs;
- Ability to represent ThinkWell convincingly and credibly;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with team members in a multi-cultural environment, and based in various locations;
- Ability to prepare high-quality technical reports, policy briefing materials and presentations;
- A combination of humility and confidence.