The Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Officer oversees and supports the ICT aspects of the programme. On a day-to-day basis this involves managing the IT and communication equipment to ensure it is used effectively within the programme, as well as providing advice, guidance and training on ICT issues to the rest of the team.
Multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme including: provision of primary and emergency health care, water and sanitation, and non-food items and emergency shelter to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations of South Sudan.
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
July 2017. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
- Provide ICT hardware and software support to all project locations by:
- Establishing and managing networks, where applicable.
- Installing new software.
- Repairing computers and laptops as required.
- Maintaining printers and other peripherals in good working order.
- Troubleshooting problems finding quick and cost-effective solutions.
- Support in analysing ICT aiming to improve these processes with new or upgraded software or systems.
- Support the management of ICT related assets through budgeting, procurement and tracking.
- Oversee the maintenance and use of communication equipment in all project locations, ensuring essential equipment is kept in good repair at all times. Communication equipment may include VSAT, static and mobile HF and VHF radios, satellite phones, mobile phones and landlines.
- Monitor developments and usage of communication equipment, applicable to the local situation, and make recommendations to the relevant people and departments within Medair, in order to ensure Medair is making the most cost effective use of available technologies within budgetary constraints.
- Provide appropriate ICT and communication equipment training for Medair staff, through one-to-one coaching and taught sessions. This may include basic introduction to Windows and Office applications, e-mail and internet use, intermediate use of Office applications, backups, software installation, simple repairs, use of Medair services, etc.
- Ensure the security and integrity of all the programme information systems and data.
- Enforce and develop, if appropriate, relevant guidelines and policies e.g. online security, passwords, back-up procedures, anti-virus solutions, etc.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject and IT qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years relevant post-qualification professional experience in an IT position.
- 1 year experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in the NGO sector.
- Experience of training / coaching individuals in ICT skills at different levels of ability.
- Advanced knowledge of Windows operating systems (e.g. Windows 7, etc.) and Microsoft Office applications, especially Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Hardware knowledge including PCs, laptops, network routers, printers, etc.
- Knowledge of networking and servers.
- Able to define systems and approaches that are sustainable and relevant to the local context.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with work colleagues, service providers and other stakeholders.
- The ICT Officer is located in Juba and supports all project and support sites, including Nairobi. There are regular field trips to project sites when help is needed.
- Working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
Then to apply, go to the ”Current Vacancies” page then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.