The USAID Agriculture and Food Systems Development Activity (AFDA) in Myanmar facilitates the transformation of agriculture and food systems by increasing productivity, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of the agricultural market system in the zone of influence (ZOI) such as Kachin State, Shan State, Mandalay Region, Sagaing Region and Magway Region. The International Market Assessment Consultant will 1) characterize current international end markets for AFDA’s priority agricultural sectors; 2) identify international end market opportunities where Myanmar, and AFDA ZOI producers and related firms in particular, can competitively expand, upgrade and diversify; and 3) recommend product upgrades (specifications), terms (buyers’ requirement) and other relevant steps needed by suppliers of products from the AFDA ZOI to enter new markets and increase export sales; 4) identify international buyers interested in long-term partnerships and supply contracts with producers. The anticipated timeframe for this assignment is between June 2020 to July 2020 with up to 20 days of effort.
The consultant will:
· Develop an assessment plan (inception report) to be revised per AFDA Team input and identify gaps needing additional research
· Conduct secondary research to characterize current and potential markets and buyers. [Secondary research will include trade databases, third-party reports and other existing information including AFDA team sector reports]
· Draft a report synthesizing primary, to be refined per AFDA input
· Identify international end market opportunities for ZOI producers supported by analysis of growth forecast including estimated volume and value.
· Identify and rank international end market opportunities in order of attractiveness for products and producers from for ZOI including ease of entry, comparative advantage and competitiveness, etc.
· Identify current and interested buyers
The consultant will provide the following deliverables:
· Assessment plan (inception report)
· Secondary research data in Excel
· Market observation
· Buyer information: contact information, products and volume desired, conditions/standards for purchasing
· A report identifying and describing Myanmar’s current end markets and buyers with recommendations for potential end markets and buyers that Myanmar can target for profitable, inclusive growth.
· Experience conducting end market analyses for NGOs, consultancies, governments and/or firms in SE Asia, especially including Myanmar
· Knowledge of Myanmar’s agricultural including production, processing and trade characteristics is an advantage
· Knowledge of markets and their dynamics in SE Asia, especially including Myanmar, and/or neighboring countries
· Working knowledge of inclusion approaches relevant to women, youth, smallholders and ethnic minorities in agricultural supply chains
· Excellent spoken and written English
Interested organization or consultant should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 29th, 2020:
1. CV specifically responding to required qualifications
2. Sample work on market assessment report
3. Cost proposal – to include the professional fees and other anticipated miscellaneous costs
Questions will be accepted by email up to May 22nd, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.