Requisition ID: req2054
Job Title: International Tat Lan Communication Coordinator
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading agencies working in post-conflict and development contexts, supporting communities in over 40 fragile, failed and developing states. In this capacity, we work to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted, struggling to endure and wishing to advance on a path of development. The IRC began working in Myanmar in May 2008 with emergency response and early recovery interventions for communities affected by Cyclone Nargis. Since then, the IRC has broadened its portfolio with health, protection, livelihoods, and social development programs aiming to employ a holistic approach to meeting the needs of crisis affected and vulnerable communities to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. In conjunction with longer-term programs working in system strengthening, participatory community-driven development, and local stakeholder capacity development, the IRC works in emergency preparedness and response, supporting its staff and its partners to be able to become more resilient and responsive to shocks and respond quickly when they occur. IRC Myanmar operates an annual portfolio of approximately $15 million, through the implementation of over 18 grants country-wide funded by 10 different international donor agencies. In addition, IRC prioritizes partnership with local civil society organizations, and manages on average about 20 sub - grantees.
Tat Lan, which started in 2013 and is now in its second phases, is a complex, $40 million donor funded, food security and livelihoods program implemented in Rakhine State by International Rescue Committee (IRC), Save the Children, Oxfam, and Better Life Organisation, with monitoring and evaluation support from CARE International. During its last year the program is being implemented by the IRC in 102 villages in Myebon and Minbya, and by Save the Children in 85 villages in Pauktaw, Myebon and Minbya. The Tat Lan program is building resilience in vulnerable Rakhine State communities by improving livelihoods and sustainable food security in these 187 villages.
SCOPE OF WORK
Under the Tat Lan program, the IRC houses a communications team supporting the wider Tat Lan program and its partners. The IRC is currently seeking an experienced international Communications Coordinator to head this team and work with staff from IRC, Save the Children, and CARE International on various program communications related tasks. The ideal candidate is familiar and conversant with the Rakhine context, and has experience mentoring and building the capacity of others in communications-related skills.
Tat Lan Communications holds responsibility for the coordination and presentation of all communication of the overall Tat Lan program, presenting the Tat Lan as an integrated project being implemented by different international NGOs who each have their own Tat Lan contract with the Livelihoods and Food Security Trust Fund (LIFT). There is a Tat Lan communications strategy developed through the existing communications team, which has been ratified by all implementing partners. The strategy is to be reviewed annually by all partners and LIFT, to ensure it is a collective Tat Lan communications strategy, effective for all implementing partners.
The International Communications Coordinator is responsible for developing effective resources for all program stakeholders, and identifying Tat Lan and LIFT visibility opportunities, and for meeting with government authorities in Sittwe as well as township agencies, leaders of village communities and beneficiary villagers in Myebon, Minbya, and Pauktaw to keep them informed about Tat Lan successes. He/she is expected to travel regularly and extensively to the field to collect information and stories, and photograph activities. These will be published in leading Myanmar publications, as well as the Tat Lan partners’ and LIFT websites, their Facebook pages, as well as in a variety of communication resource materials for government ministries and government department staff, township authorities, village leaders and all 187 communities. The International Communications Manager will be a focal person at communication events, and all Tat Lan presentations. Critically, the International Communications Coordinator is responsible for the clearance of all work for publication. Clearance is signed off by LIFT, or the IRC and/or Save the Children project directors.
This position reports to the IRC Tat Lan Project Director and has two direct reports–Communications Manager and Senior Communications Officer-as well as manages two contract consultants.
* Advanced degree in journalism, communications, public relations or related field
* At least 4 years of professional experience in development communications, preferably with knowledge and understanding of the Myanmar context, Myanmar media landscape and international media or, previous employment fulfilling similar job description responsibilities.
* Exceptional oral/written English, some understanding of Myanmar language would be an advantage.
* Evidence of published writing and knowledge of journalism protocols and style.
* Ability to demonstrate outstanding written and oral communications skills.
* Must demonstrate strong abilities as a manager of staff, enabling them to realise their potential.
* Must present evidence of ability to coordinate, and cooperate with field staff, professionals from partner organisations, stakeholders and the news media.
* Computer proficient, with good knowledge of using Microsoft Office, and experience with photography software, and social media platforms.
* Experience in Myanmar development context including liaising with Myanmar and international media.
* Experience in rural development communications, with an understanding of the context of rural isolation and poverty in contexts such as Rakhine State.
* Knowledge in food security and or livelihood development, would be an added strength.
* Experience in the use of and ability to monitor social media platforms especially Facebook.
* Expertise and good skills in the use of relevant professional software for desktop publishing and lay-out.
* Excellent photography skills.
* Enjoys working as a team and generates enthusiasm for reaching shared goals.
* Ability to be flexible and work in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines.
* Demonstrates trustworthiness and upholds the highest ethical standards with commitment to transparency, honesty, accountability and learning.
* Consults easily with supervisor and works with enthusiasm, being highly motivated and responsible for personal learning.
* Strong sense of initiative and independence, able to work without direct supervision.