Abt Associates seeks a qualified Investment Advisor for the anticipated USAID-funded Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP). ATIP will advance Prosper Africa’s goals to boost trade, increase investment, and support business-friendly policy reforms. Its team of transaction advisors will work closely with U.S. Embassy Deal Teams across Africa to identify and close deals. The program will complement the U.S. Government’s trade and investment tools through customized services – from business consulting and transaction facilitation to targeted policy interventions.
The program will have an office based in the Washington, D.C. area with regional offices supporting activities in West, East, and Southern Africa, and later North Africa. The program is a unique whole of government initiative, requiring coordination with USAID, Department of Commerce, State Department and others to complement the U.S. government’s trade and investment tools through regionally tailored services.
The Investment Advisor will lead all activities that generate interest in investment between the U.S. and Africa, connect African firms to potential investment opportunities, and support the improvement of the investment climate in Africa. This position will be based in Rockville, MD and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the strategy and implementation of project activities that will generate potential interest between investors in the United States and Africa
- Develop and manage the team of investment facilitators
- Collaborate with stakeholders including public and private stakehoders such as the U.S. Department of Commerce, DFC, USTR and other USG entities, African governments and institutions, development banks, and private investors to define and implement strategies to improve the investment climent in Africa
- Engage with governments and financial institutions (lending banks, MFIs, private equity, investment funds, development finance, and foundations) to facilitate greater access to financing and catalogue the innovations in risk sharing and blended finance that can be replicated with the same or other partners in the region
- Review investor’s financial proposals together with business clients to assess the viability of proposals and advise clients as appropriate.
- Review business plans and financial statements to build bankability and properly advise on potential investments, market alliances or other growth opportunities
- Work with the project’s regional financial specialists to understand entrepreneur’s varying needs for appropriate financing mechanisms
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships with financial institutions and private sector partners
- MBA or Master Degree finance, economics, mathematics, accounting or similar field
- At least 15 years of professional experience working in analyzing investments
- Investment experience, including any experience working with debt, quasi-equity, as well as experience with blended finance and impact investments
- Experience working with public and private stakeholders and clients
- Relevant work experience in Africa
- At least 5 years of experience in a managerial or leadership role and collaborating with remote teams
- Fluent in English; proficiency in French and/or Arabic is a plus
- MA/MBA (15+) years of experience OR PhD (10 - 15) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.