The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow—infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 103 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
AIIB’s Investment Operations comprises two regional teams, 1 and 2. Each regional team is led by a Vice President (VP) and reporting staff includes client relations specialists, technical specialists, and bankers. Region 1 is responsible for South East Asia, the Pacific Islands, and South Asia (except Pakistan and Afghanistan), while Region 2 covers Pakistan, Afghanistan, Central Asia, East Asia, West Asia, Europe, Africa and Latin America.
The Investment Operations Specialist/Senior Specialist — Urban will contribute to AIIB’s lending program by supporting the identification, preparation, implementation and supervision of urban investment projects. They will be responsible for understanding and responding to the urban challenges and opportunities in Asia including urbanization (demographic shifts and social changes, economic, structural, and spatial transformation), climate change, disaster risk management, sustainable urban development, urban local governance, and technology and innovation, among others. They will also be required to engage with other departments for issues relating to the urban sector.
- The Specialist/Senior Specialist will lead and manage project teams consisting of various specialists to prepare and deliver high-quality investment projects in an efficient and timely manner.
- Ensure all key technical/economic/financial/fiduciary/social/environmental issues and, if any, cross-sectoral issues, are considered and properly addressed, and that AIIB policy requirements are followed.
- Carry out due diligence and institutional assessments on executing agencies, including implementation capacity assessments of project counterparts.
- Support capacity development in relevant implementing entities to plan, design, construct and operate infrastructure, provide services and address potential social and economic challenges.
- Lead or participate in dialogue and collaboration with clients and development partners on strategic areas/topics such as climate change, disaster risk management, sustainable urban development, municipal services delivery and climate resilient infrastructure, among others.
- Cooperate with cofinanciers on cofinancing projects and lead AIIB teams to conduct necessary due diligence for those projects.
- Manage the business development in specific AIIB members and regions assigned to obtain a healthy pipeline of urban projects.
- Provide quality technical contributions required for urban planning and other urban development-related areas in line with AIIB business needs.
- Minimum relevant work experience of 5-7 years for Specialist, 8-10 years for Senior Specialist in the urban sector, preferably in Asia.
- Substantial international project experience in urban sector, particularly capacity-constrained countries an advantage. Experience in working with multilateral development banks desirable.
- Experience working on or leading teams and or demonstrated potential qualities for leadership.
- Strong organizational and project management skills to perform day-to-day management of a large and complex project portfolio.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English, knowledge of a language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in municipal engineering/science, urban design and planning, environmental engineering, disaster risk management, business management or other related fields.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.