With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID, DFAT Australia, the World Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
CowaterSogema is excited to announce the opening of two Investor Engagement Specialist positions – one in Pretoria, South Africa and a second in Asia (location flexible) – for the upcoming Emerging Smallholder Facility of the Commercial Agriculture for Smallholders and Agribusiness programme (CASA). This program will support agribusinesses in DFID priority countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia that have received impact investment to increase their engagement with smallholder farmers through the provision of technical, analytical and advisory services.
The Investor Engagement Specialists will carry out investor engagement activities with agribusiness and agribusiness investors to increase their engagement of smallholder farmers. Reporting to the Team Leader at CowaterSogema’s Office in Pretoria, South Africa the Investor Engagement Specialists will use their business and communications sills to recruit agribusinesses and agribusiness investors to participate in a range of services offered by the Smallholder Development Facility,and support the scoping and design of technical assistance to increase smallholder engagement in commercial value chains.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher qualification in economics, business or finance or similar with demonstrated knowledge of commercial agriculture and agribusiness investments.
- At least 5 years’ of experience working with commercial investors, Development Finance Institutions, and/or impact investors in commercial agriculture and/or agribusiness investment projects in sub-Saharan Africa and/or South Asia;
- Experience supporting agriculture and value chains initiatives to deliver economic and social impacts;
- Experience managing large, complex agriculture, agribusiness and value chain development initiatives and working in multi-disciplinary teams;
- Experience managing complex multi-stakeholder relations including effective liaison with investors and institutions, government officials, and smallholder farmers organizations;
- Project monitoring and reporting.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills (speaking, writing and oral) in English;
- Capacity to build strategic relationships and identify creative ways to address challenges and issues and respond to opportunities;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and influence investors and business leaders;
- Excellent stakeholder management and relationship building skills;
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives;
- Contemporary knowledge of commercial agriculture, agribusiness, and smallholder farmer development in Sub-Saharan Africa and/or South Asia.
- Experience with DFIs such as CDC (and its fund managers), Proparco, DEG, OPIC etc.; Impact investors such as Root Capital and Acumen; Early-stage investors such as AgDevCo and Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund is preferred.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.
About the OrganizationCowaterSogema is a global leader in management consulting services, focusing on developing and emerging economies. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. As Canada’s largest international development consulting firm, CowaterSogema has developed a reputation of excellence for our strong ability to work with clients and stakeholders to provide leading-edge solutions and services tailored to the needs and challenges faced by developing and transitional countries. Our firm possesses internationally recognized and award-winning experience at the policy, program and project levels, developing and managing major projects as well as undertaking studies, sector reviews, evaluations, and training and communications activities.
CowaterSogema is a global company with its headquarters in Ottawa, Canada, an office in Montreal, Canada, an office in Pretoria, South Africa (CowaterSogema South Africa) and operations in Paris, France (CowaterSogema Europe). Additionally, the company currently operates project offices worldwide including in Burkina Faso, Mali, Malawi, Cameroon, South Sudan, Mozambique, Zambia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Indonesia, Jordan, Peru, Honduras, Barbados etc.