The QED Group, LLC is seeking a consultant for a three-month assignment in Bahir Dar, Ethiopia. This consultancy is open to resident Ethiopian nationals. The consultant will be responsible for launching the Communications and Knowledge Management components of the End Child Marriage Program (ECMP), which aims to contribute to the eradication of child marriage in the Amhara Region and is funded by the U.K. Department for International Development (DFID). The overall objective of the Communications component is to create and disseminate key messages to support ECMP activities and to engage with key stakeholders to institutionalise approaches and activities and leverage additional support for scaling up the campaign to end child marriage. The objective of the Knowledge Management sub-component is increase the evidence base on what works at scale to eradicate early marriage and other harmful traditional practices (HTPs).
The consultant will be responsible for managing the start-up activities of the programme’s Communications and Knowledge Management components. Illustrative activities include:
- Coordinating the provision of teacher training, training materials, equipment and other resources to strengthen school-based mini media centres;
- Coordinate the identification and training of community-based monitors in change methodology and media capture techniques;
- Coordinate community-based dialogue with religious leaders;
- Collect, analyze and edit material collected by community-based monitors and compile audio and audiovisual media products for dissemination via radio, internet and in-person events;
- Establish a task force to identify, assess and adapt existing communications materials on HTPs, ending child marriage and health promotion;
- Engage and oversee a graphic designer and other technical expert(s) to design logos, and develop communication materials;
- Convene task force and organize workshop to launch and oversee the Amhara Learning Community of Ending Child Marriage;
- Develop ECMP website, newsletter and electronic learning library;
Key Skills and Qualifications:
- Three to five years of professional experience managing communications and public outreach activities for a donor-funded program, non-governmental organization, or similar;
- Excellent spoken and written communications skills, including experience developing effective awareness-raising and outreach materials for print, radio, and internet;
- Experience coordinating training programs and developing training materials;
- Experience convening and coordinating stakeholder groups; planning and facilitating workshops and managing staff and consultants;
- BA in Communications or relevant discipline, MA desirable;
- Familiarity with the Amhara region, issues facing adolescent girls and their communities, including early marriage and other HTPs;
- Professional license or other proof of eligibility to work as consultant in Ethiopia;
- Fluency in English and Amharic required.
- Ethiopian nationality required
This position will be based in Bahir Dar, with potential short-term travel to Addis Ababa. There is potential for the consultancy to evolve into a longer-term commitment, if requested and approved.
Please submit your CV for this position by following the application instructions provided after clicking the “Apply Now” icon.
Applications submitted by other means will not be considered.
No phone calls please. Qualified candidates will be contacted with information on current and upcoming projects.
The QED Group, LLC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to workplace diversity. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.