SCOPE OF WORK
Libya Local Governance and Civil Society Activity
MUNICIPAL CAPACITY BUILDING (OBJECTIVE 1) LEAD
The Libya Local Governance and Civil Society (LGCS) Activity will support the foundation of a more unified Libyan state by prioritizing local-level activities that foster stability and accountable governance while reinforcing positive linkages among the national government, subnational government administration, and citizens. LGCS works to increase the Libyan Government’s ability to deliver essential services and promote stability. It seeks to help citizens engage in public dialogue, prioritize resources, and develop initiatives to hold government accountable. To achieve these goals, LGCS will center its activities around four objectives:
- Strengthen the capacity of targeted municipal institutions to deliver services and be more responsive to citizen needs
- Empower Libyan citizens, civil society organizations, private sector, and other stakeholders with the skills and capability to advocate for government institutions to deliver on their mandates.
- Encourage coherence of national and subnational government policy, systems, and coordination through pilots advancing targeted policy reform. Strengthen national and subnational decentralization policies, systems, and, and coordination
- Inform Programming through a robust learning and analysis agenda
The Municipal Capacity Building (Objective 1) Lead will work closely with the DCOP and project leadership to partner with citizens and municipalities to enhance local governance and increase satisfaction with municipal services. S/he will manage a complex workplan of events and activities, ensuring clear communication and collaboration with a range of stakeholders.
Responsibilities and Key Tasks:
- Lead implementation of all Municipal Capacity Building activities.
- Track progress toward defined objectives and proactively address implementation issues with project leadership.
- Guide research and development of Municipal Performance Index (MPI) tool.
- Coordinate with partner municipalities to conduct initial MPI.
- Lead development of Local Government Professional Accreditation program in collaboration with AUML.
- Coordinate lectures, workshops, and experiential learning opportunities for municipal staff from across LGCS partner municipalities.
- Lead development and implementation of municipal-specific Visible Improvement Service strategy.
- Guide implementation of municipal per-to-peer learning.
- Collaborate with AUML to develop an alumni network of local government practitioners.
- Mentor and supervise Municipal Capacity Building (Objective 1) Program Coordinator.
- At least 7 years of professional experience.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in related field of study. Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience with local governance, municipal services, and high-level coordination with government partners preferred.
- Experience collaborating with municipalities, local governments, civil society organizations, or universities preferred.
- Experience working in Libya preferred.
- Well-developed analytical writing skills, communications, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with donor-funded projects or international organizations preferred.
- Oral and written fluency in English required. Arabic skills preferred.
About the OrganizationDAI delivers development. We do it in many of the world's most demanding environments, by integrating a broad range of disciplines. Over 40 years, our employee owners have built a forward-looking company — one that combines innovative thinking, deep technical knowledge, and professional project management. We approach our work with passion, analytical rigor, and open minds. By freely sharing what we learn, we have built a reputation as thought leaders who translate good ideas into action and action into results. Our global team of 1,500 development professionals welcomes each opportunity to solve a new problem, no matter how difficult. That's how DAI has earned the trust of the clients, partners, and people who work alongside us all over the world.
DAI Advancing Human Prosperity SM