Job Title: Livelihoods Program Manager II
Reports to: Deputy Head of Programming
Salary Grade: 9
Position Type: Full Time
You will manage and provide technical oversight of the development and implementation of the Country Program (CP) livelihoods programming, particularly for large and complex projects, ensuring effective systems and processes are in place that support high-quality programming advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its livelihoods programming.
- Provide management, guidance, and technical oversight of all new and existing projects within the CP livelihoods programming throughout the project cycle to ensure project design, start-up, implementation and close-out are in line with CRS quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices. Ensure project teams and partner staff use appropriate tools.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Lead the development of program learning - identify opportunities for learning, research and publications in the area of livelihoods and implementation of MEAL policy. Facilitate the dissemination of promising practices and lessons learned to contribute to the agency knowledge management agenda. Ensure integration of innovations and best practices.
- Contribute to the proactive pursuit of opportunities for new funding to ensure growth of the CP livelihoods sector portfolio in line with agency, regional, and CP livelihoods strategic Serve as the technical lead and technical writer to ensure quality proposals in livelihoods per agency and donor standards. Contribute to budgeting and staffing plans and activities for proposals.
- Oversee technical assistance and capacity strengthening activities in livelihoods for staff and partner organizations to enhance program quality and impact.
- Oversee the identification, assessment and strengthening of partnerships relevant to livelihoods and the appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches. Lead capacity strengthening and required interventions to support quality livelihoods project implementation by partners.
- Ensure timely and appropriate project expenditures in line with financial plans and efficient use and stewardship of project material sources.
- Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or in a similar field required. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in relevant field-based project management experience required, with preferably at least 2-3 years working in the area of program management. Previous livelihoods programming experience preferable.
- Experience in managing moderately complex projects, preferably with an international NGO.
Required/Desired Foreign Language
Fluent English is required; Arabic is a plus.
Travel Required: This position is based in Erbil. Travel within Iraq – including to Baghdad, Anbar, Ninewa, and Kirkuk, and across Kurdistan – up to 30%; limited travel within the region.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to make sound judgment and decisions and offer innovative solutions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Good presentation and facilitation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Good experience in project grants management, including project design, preferably for grants from multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Demonstrated ability to write high quality technical proposals.
- Experience engaging with partner organizations and building partner capacity.
- MEAL skills and experience required.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory relationships: 3-4 Livelihoods Project Manager(s) and Senior Project Officer(s)
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Country Representative, Head of Programming, Deputy Head of Programming, Program Managers, Project Managers, Regional Technical Advisors
External: Caritas Iraq and other church partners; CRS implementing partners; UN cluster leads and agencies; peer humanitarian agencies; local government and authorities.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until this position is filled
About the Organization
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS's Agriculture and Livelihoods team supports farming communities using our Pathway to Prosperity approach, which enables rural families to increase their productivity within sustainable landscapes, achieve a living income and build more resilient communities.