Manager, External Relations, Communications and Knowledge - Partnerships for Forests
Project Overview and Role:
Palladium is seeking to recruit a Manager, External Relations and Knowledge. The successful candidate role will spend the majority of their time working on the Partnerships for Forests programme (P4F). This is a key role in the P4F team. They may also be required to spend time working on other Climate, Environment and Natural Resources (CENR) programmes where necessary.
P4F supports investment models in which the private sector, public sector and communities can achieve improved returns from forests and sustainable land use. Over the next three years the programme will be focussing on delivering transformational change as its strategic priority.
The programme’s main focus is supporting the development of Forest Partnerships. These are partnerships between private sector companies, public sector actors and communities that catalyse investment in forests and sustainable land use. The programme also supports activities that strengthen demand for sustainable commodities and activities to create and enabling environment for sustainable investments.
- Support the P4F Team Leader in delivery of the programme’s strategic priorities, namely the transformational change agenda;
- Manage external relations for the P4F programme, which seeks enhanced collaboration and engagement with strategic stakeholders (private or public, including donors, corporates, investors) in the forest and sustainable land use sector under direction from the Team Leader;
- Act as a representative and advocate for the programme, deputising for the Project Director or Team Leader, confidently and clearly presenting the P4F programme to senior public, private and civil society audiences at conferences, seminars and similar external events;
- Facilitate effective relationships, and dialogues (both on- and off-line) with strategic partners;
- Assist the Team Leader to identify synergies between the forest partnerships, demand-side and enabling conditions components of the P4F programme, that will offer opportunity for ‘’ecosystem approaches’’ to the programme portfolio that promise transformational change and added value;
- Lead the design and delivery of Output 4 of the programme, which aims to share the knowledge gained from the programme with the relevant global community, and to amplify the outcomes and impacts P4F (working in collaboration with the Team Leader and the P4F Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Director);
- Drive, supervise and manage the production of high-quality knowledge outputs, including some innovative thought leadership pieces, working in collaboration with the P4F MEL Director and other members of the P4F team;
- Lead, develop and oversee the strategic communications plan for P4F objectives and outcomes, encompassing both traditional and newer (social media) channels working with the Associate External Relations & Knowledge;
- Manage the External Relations and Knowledge team, which currently comprises one Bristol-based Associate, and a Senior Associate, External Relations in each programme region, including supervision and support of:
- implementation of the strategic communications plan (including crisis response protocols);
- the drafting of news releases, social media outputs, articles and speeches;
- writing of copy for website, newsletter and associated promotional materials;
- P4F participation in international and regional events;
- maintenance of the P4F website and social media accounts;
- Contribute to the production of informative, high quality quarterly and annual reports, working in collaboration with the MEL Director; and
- Travel within the target regions and globally to support/mentor and/or to carry out the implementation of communication and outreach activities with strategic partners as required.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and influence a range of stakeholders, including senior managers; plan and deliver campaigns and projects through teamwork.
- Confident and able to speak publicly to small and large audiences;
- Knowledge and understanding of tropical forestry and sustainable land use issues including sustainable finance and exceptional networking abilities and networks in those sectors;
- Experience of a professional communications role, including engagement of public-private partnerships;
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills with previous experience of copy and article writing in a fast-paced, impact-oriented environment in a collaborative manner across a culturally diverse and multi-disciplinary;
- Ability to work flexibly, and to tight deadlines, maintaining consistently high standards and attention to detail;
- Experience of working collaboratively with a range of external and public organisations, including private business leaders, local authorities, government agencies, and the voluntary and independent sectors;
- Demonstrated self-starter who thrives in a dynamic and fast-moving commercial environment and able to get to grips with our business quickly;
The Manager, External Relations, Communications and Knowledge will have Line Management responsibility for the Associate, External Relations & Knowledge, based in the Bristol office as well as a dotted line relationship with the Senior Associate(s), External Relations & Knowledge based in each of the programme regions.
The Manager, External Relations and Knowledge will report to the Team Leader.
The role is based in our South West office, just outside Bristol, however, particularly while we are under COVID-19 restrictions, and in future, working from home will be permitted. Applicants do not need to be based in Bristol but must be willing to travel to the office on a regular basis to have contact with the team. Applicants will be required to travel internationally to developing countries once restrictions are lifted.
We are willing to consider requests for part-time work for the right candidate, and have flexible working conditions, to enable our staff to balance their work and home commitments.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.