Manager, Human Resources - Legal & Policy (Parental leave)
Purpose of the position:
Oversee human resources matters having legal implications, including employee relations (ER), relevant policies and processes and preventative initiatives in close collaboration with the Head, HR, HR Business Partners and Legal Counsels, as well as the Director of Legal and the Director of HR.
Director, Human Resources
N° of positions supervised:
Career step level:
Approx. 10 months – (from July 2021 to May 2022)
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together developing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 822 million children and the prevention of more than 14 million future deaths. At the Global Vaccine Summit in June 2020, world leaders pledged more than $8.8bn to ensure Gavi can immunise another 300 million children by 2025.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND DELIVERABLES
· Overseeing Employee Relations (ER) cases, working with colleagues in HR and Legal teams to ensure due process, timeliness and quality in our response to such matters;
· Working with Director of HR and the Legal team to review and update ER policies and processes;
· Guiding HR business partners in ER matters and application of ER policies;
· Partnering with HR business partners to take actions to prevent potential employee relations issues where possible;
· Excellent relationship and productive collaboration with HR and legal colleagues;
· Proactive identification of people-related issues and risks;
· High quality and timely delivery of HR/legal case work.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee, manage and provide guidance on ER matters (including grievances, complaints, appeals, probation, underperformance, redundancies, contract termination, misconduct)
§ Advise and support the HR team on various tasks involving litigation, employment law and investigation cases;
§ Analyse and manage ER cases and provide recommendations on the approach and further steps and manage confidential files;
§ Liaise and consult with the Legal team on ER cases on a regular basis;
§ Prepare the preliminary assessment memo for consultation with Legal team and Executive team member;
§ Draft internal memos, case summaries, letters, decision documents and reports as required under Gavi’s Grievance and Disciplinary Procedures;
§ Draft documents and correspondence between Gavi and the employee/their lawyer and Gavi’s responses to the Appeals Review Committee (ARC). ;
§ Collect documentation and information requested by the ARCs or the Tribunal;
§ Analyse ER cases and conduct research on case law as appropriate;
§ Oversee investigations and be the focal point of contact between the investigator, HR and Legal team;
§ Support the HR Business Partners in cases relating to performance management, performance improvement plans, probation, mediation etc. including reviewing and drafting relevant documents;
§ Advise on the development, application and implementation of HR policies, disciplinary and appeals and related processes;
§ Perform an after-action-review of each case to understand root of issue, key learnings and overall cost and time involved.
- Review and update policies, guidelines and templates on HR processes which have a legal implication
Review and update policies as required and in accordance with revised Gavi policies and general good practices, develop clear guidelines or terms of reference and templates on relevant processes, oversee the implementation of new procedures, including the following:
§ Probation Process;
§ Performance improvement plans;
§ Investigation and Disciplinary procedures;
§ Preliminary assessments;
§ Fact-finding investigations;
§ Extended sick leave.
- Manage ongoing work related to providing a ‘respectful workplace’ which does not tolerate harassment, bullying and other inappropriate behaviours
· Manage any staff training or communication related to ‘respectful workplace’
· Work with an external consultant to finalise the following:
§ Guidelines for expected behavior during Gavi Mission: development, approval and implementation (incl. training) of guidelines for frequently traveling staff; and
§ Managers guidelines: documenting procedure to be followed by managers as first line receivers for complaints.
- Ensure appropriate policies, processes and templates are in place for Safeguarding at Gavi
Ensure that there is a systematic reporting mechanism in place covering the following areas:
§ Progress on agreed action plan (with key outstanding actions highlighted);
§ Ombudsman reports;
§ Whistleblowing reports;
§ Internal complaints;
§ ICAS employee assistance reports;
§ Training (if not covered under the action plan);
§ Activities related to communication & culture (if not covered under the action plan).
- Manage other HR projects with legal implications as required
- Support the HR Director, or its designees, on specific matters as requested
- Advanced university degree in law and from an accredited law school;
- License to practice law in a national jurisdiction.
- A minimum of 5 years of legal and/or HR experience;
- Global health experience an asset.
- Excellent working and collaborative relationships with HR and Legal colleagues
- Ability to collaborate in an international environment;
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and maintain focus on priorities;
- Ability to communicate effectively to a wide variety of audiences both within and outside Gavi;
- Impeccable contract drafting skills;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to identify and explain complex issues;
- Team player, yet equally able to work autonomously;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills;
- Integrity and principles-based work ethics;
- Organised, thorough and detail oriented;
- Tact and discretion.
- Fluency in English; French an asset.
· Gavi Secretariat.
Gavi is committed to diversity within its workforce and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
If you wish to apply, please provide a cover letter and resume through our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on “Manager, Human Resources - Legal & Policy (Parental leave)”. Deadline for applications is 16 May 2021.
Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.