New Forests (www.newforests.com.au) seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Manager, Natural Climate Solutions. In this role you will be primarily responsible for leading financial modelling tasks across the range of work carried out by the team on natural climate solutions investments. This role will be part of a newly established team focusing on New Forests’ NCS investment strategy. The position is based in our Sydney office, but will have an international mandate.
New Forests is an investment management business offering leading edge strategies in forestry, land management, and conservation. Our business mission is to manage sustainable landscapes for production and conservation and to generate shared value for our clients and the communities where we operate. Founded in 2005, we offer institutional investors dedicated investment strategies in the United States, Australia‐New Zealand, and Southeast Asia and have over AUD 5.6 billion in assets under management. We manage sustainable timber plantations, natural forests, forest carbon projects, rural land, and processing infrastructure. New Forests is headquartered in Sydney with offices in San Francisco, Singapore, New Zealand and Melbourne.
New Forests believes that sustainably managed forest landscapes can play a significant role in mitigating the impacts of climate change, while also providing other valuable economic, social and environmental returns. As part of the company’s growth strategy, New Forests is exploring new business opportunities and seeking to attract capital to invest in NCS.
In this role you will work closely with the Director, Business Development, members of New Forests’ Investment Analytics team and with other teams across our business to successfully execute on New Forests’ NCS strategy. We are seeking to mobilise corporate, institutional, development finance and philanthropic capital to fund the implementation of natural climate solutions to help mitigate climate change by reforestation of degraded lands, improved management of natural forests and avoided deforestation.
Primary role focus:
- The primary focus for the Manager, Natural Climate Solutions will be to lead analytical tasks across the range of work carried out by the team on NCS investments, primarily located in the Asia-Pacific region.
Other important elements of this role include:
- Lead the development of financial and biological models for acquisition targets, requiring close and effective engagement with internal and external parties
- Contributing to the design and execution of comprehensive due diligence programs and the review and analysis of their findings, often working with a combination of external and internal parties
- Contributing to the preparation and delivery of high-quality investment committee materials and other internal and client related materials
- Carbon market research, analysis and staying up to date with forestry carbon accounting methodologies and verification standards across key markets
- Periodic review of strategic operational models, including analysis and reporting to support strategic decision making
We are looking for candidates with:
- Strong analytical ability, with 5+ years of experience in forest and carbon analysis including proficiency with relevant software
- In-depth understanding of forest and carbon valuation methodologies, including demonstrated experience in valuation of forestry and carbon assets
- Familiarity with financial modelling concepts including discounted cash flow analysis and internal rate of return
- Experience working with carbon accounting methodologies and an ability to work with a variety of international and national carbon accounting methodologies associated with different compliance and voluntary markets
- Excellent project management capability along with outstanding organizational skills related to time and project management
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, finance, forestry, environmental management/ science or equivalent
- Must be a team player, with ability to work with colleagues across time zones and geographies and work well under pressure and deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An ability to work independently and prioritise effectively
- A positive, can do attitude
- Punctual, professional and outgoing personality that likes to assist people
- A keen attention to detail
- Capable of maintaining positive, calm demeanour during busy periods
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- A willingness to travel.
What can we offer?
Our environment is busy and supportive, and the team is professional but relaxed. If you join us, you would be joining a growing, fast paced business which is an environmental and sustainable leader in forestry investment. You will also be working with professionals who are passionate about their work!
This is a great opportunity to become part of this NCS initiative and if you are adept at contributing to something that is “new and different” we would welcome your application.
To apply, please provide your resume and cover letter, explaining your interest and qualifications for the position, in PDF format, to email@example.com.
Phone calls will not be accepted.
New Forests is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Organization
New Forests is a sustainable real assets investment manager offering leading-edge strategies in forestry, land management, and conservation. Founded in 2005, we offer institutional investors targeted opportunities in the Asia-Pacific region and the United States and have more than AUD 4.5 billion in assets under management globally. Our assets include sustainable timber plantations, rural land, and conservation investments related to ecosystem restoration and protection. New Forests focuses on managing our clients’ assets for a future in which landscapes will encompass both production and conservation values. New Forests manages more than 950,000 hectares of land and forests and is headquartered in Sydney with offices in San Francisco, Singapore, and New Zealand. New Forests is a proud member of the Certified B Corporation community that uses business to solve social and environmental challenges.