With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID, DFAT Australia, the World Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
CowaterSogema is excited to announce the opening of the position of Monitoring and Learning Specialist for the upcoming Emerging Smallholder Facility of the Commercial Agriculture for Smallholders and Agribusiness programme (CASA). This programme will support agribusinesses in DFID priority countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia that have received impact investments to increase their engagement of smallholder farmers though the provision of technical, analytical and advisory services. Reporting to the Team Leader at CowaterSogema’s Pretoria Office in South Africa, and working closely with an external Monitoring and Learning Supplier, the Monitoring and Learning Specialist will be responsible for design and management of monitoring and learning system to track development impacts in smallholder agriculture in commercial agriculture and value chains.
- Master’s degree in a relevant area such as evaluation, economics, statistics, development studies, or any other relevant social science.
- At least 10 years of experience in the field of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) in the international development sector.
- Experience designing and implementing M&E systems on agribusiness and smallholder agriculture development projects is preferred.
- Extensive work experience in Africa and/or Asia.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation concepts and procedures, with demonstrated understanding of M&E of agriculture and climate smart agriculture interventions;
- Design of M&E frameworks, and ability to conduct a range of related activities including: data collection, research and analysis, and results verification;
- Experience in M&E system management, including data management;
- Experience supporting knowledge management and sharing lessons learned to various audiences, including donors and stakeholders;
- Ability to manage multiple demands and prioritize tasks, work effectively and collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, and support other team members as needed;
- Ability to understand the data needs of a broad range of users;
- Excellent written communication in English.
Monitoring and Learning:
- Coordinate closely and proactively with the CASA Monitoring and Learning Supplier in the development and implementation of the Program’s Monitoring and Learning framework, system and plan, ensuring consistency with DFID Monitoring and Evaluation standards;
- Conduct and contribute to cross-cutting monitoring of program activities, including data collection, analysis and reporting;
- Verification of data from technical assistance interventions;
- Review the Monitoring and Learning Plan annually to ensure it meets the needs of DFID, and recommend amendments as necessary to integrate lessons and adapt to changes in the sector.
- Support the maintenance of a program management information system (MIS) to manage disaggregated data (by gender, poverty status, and other criteria);
- Ensure key progress information and data from agribusinesses selected for TA on smallholder impact is collected, collated, and entered into the MIS program for analysis;
- Undertake occasional field visits to verify and triangulate reported findings;
- Provide quality assurance and quality control of all project data collection activities to support sound monitoring and reporting;
- Develop and implement methodologies and standards for monitoring of project activities and improving data quality for reporting on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) as agreed upon with DFID.
Reporting and Case Studies:
- Analyse larger trends by linking and analysing data from a variety of sources, including activities and outputs from related initiatives in the region;
- Lead the design and implementation of monitoring reporting for the CASA Emerging Smallholder Facility, ensuring clear linkages between end of program outcomes and results with performance outcomes and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs);
- Prepare program reports and case studies (five case studies per year from year 2 to onwards) in collaboration with the program team;
- Provide data as required to facilitate independent program evaluations and ensure findings from the evaluations are incorporated into program activities and policies as appropriate; and
- Ensure all reports and case studies are provided to the Monitoring and Learning Supplier in line with the format agreed during the investor engagement phase.
Knowledge Sharing and Capacity Building
- Ensure that the information needs of other CASA Programme areas are supported with specific research studies or through other Monitoring and Learning methods;
- Aggregate program knowledge to draw out lessons, identify key issues, and communicate findings to the team, the wider CASA Programme, and DFID;
- Assist partners (i.e. investors, DFIs, impact investors, other donors, agribusinesses, and other partners) in using monitoring information and applying monitoring techniques by providing technical support where required;
- Support the development of tailored communications deliverables for wider dissemination to reach policy audiences and agriculture investment audiences.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.
About the OrganizationCowaterSogema is a global leader in management consulting services, focusing on developing and emerging economies. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. As Canada’s largest international development consulting firm, CowaterSogema has developed a reputation of excellence for our strong ability to work with clients and stakeholders to provide leading-edge solutions and services tailored to the needs and challenges faced by developing and transitional countries. Our firm possesses internationally recognized and award-winning experience at the policy, program and project levels, developing and managing major projects as well as undertaking studies, sector reviews, evaluations, and training and communications activities.
CowaterSogema is a global company with its headquarters in Ottawa, Canada, an office in Montreal, Canada, an office in Pretoria, South Africa (CowaterSogema South Africa) and operations in Paris, France (CowaterSogema Europe). Additionally, the company currently operates project offices worldwide including in Burkina Faso, Mali, Malawi, Cameroon, South Sudan, Mozambique, Zambia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Indonesia, Jordan, Peru, Honduras, Barbados etc.