Summary: Responsible for overseeing the generation of evidence demonstrating Pathfinder’s programmatic and organizational impact. Develops Pathfinder’s organizational strategy and framework for metrics and evaluation, as well as related policies, guidelines and standard procedures. Leads the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning business unit to develop and implement a plan of work to provide technical leadership across business units including to staff in all country offices. Oversees linkages and optimizes processes between performance monitoring, data quality and compliance, evaluation, research, information systems, knowledge management, knowledge exchange, learning, and documentation. Also oversees linkages between MEL and other enterprise functions to use data for making decisions or taking action. Represent Pathfinder as a thought leader using evaluation results and data to communicate emerging trends, effective practices, and evidence of Pathfinder’s contributions to the field in areas that align with strategic priorities.
Key Job Functions:
- MEL Framework, Planning and Implementation: Oversees the development and implementation of Pathfinder’s MEL strategy and related policies, guidelines and standard procedures for monitoring, evaluation and learning projects for all country offices. Leads business unit to develop effective MEL plans, design and implement MEL systems, provide quality assurance for MEL activities, and contribute MEL plans for project proposals Actively participates in team meetings at all levels where appropriate for managing organizational processes.
- MEL Training and Tools: Oversees the development and implementation of MEL training and other MEL resources and tools for Pathfinder staff at all country offices.
- Impact Studies: Directs or oversees the development of evaluations to assess the progress, effectiveness and impact of Pathfinder International’s activities and programs and internal project evaluations. Identifies programmatic success, challenges and lessons learned and ensures appropriate flow of information to the organization’s leadership.
- Database Management and Analysis: Directs the development of organization-wide indicators and collaborates with other Pathfinder business units to develop a database and system to monitor project performance and progress. Oversees the compilation, analysis and reporting of Pathfinder-wide programmatic data annually for use by senior management and in programmatic reports.
- Technical Assistance to Country Offices: Oversees the delivery and quality of technical assistance and training in monitoring, evaluation and learning to Pathfinder staff in all country offices.
- Project and Program Updates: Works with Marketing & Communications and Programs & Impact to disseminate information and data on Pathfinder project and programs.
- Brand Ambassador: Represents Pathfinder International in professional circles through attendance and presentations at meetings and conferences.
- Reports: Creates or directs development of project status reports. Writes and prepares conference presentations and publications.
- Leadership and Management: Recruits, hires, develops and manages a medium-sized team of experts supporting Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning.
- Business Unit Budget Management: Oversees the development and management of the business unit’s fiscal budget for all its activities in all countries.
Minimally Required Job-Specific Competencies:
- Country Specific Public Health System: Deep knowledge of portfolio countries’ public health systems.
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Deep knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and services of programs, including program strategies and indicators, and the latest professional developments in SRHR, including special challenges faced in the developing world.
- Thought Leadership: Proven ability to link M&E, research, knowledge management, learning, documentation and information systems in providing enterprise wide strategic direction for MEL.
- Quality Assurance: Deep knowledge of quality improvement and assurance principles and practices in SRHR.
- Proposal Development: Mastery of skills in proposal development from concept to full proposal, resource mobilization, and proven ability to raise substantial research/development funds.
- Research Methods: Mastery of knowledge and ability to apply quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Data Collection Methods: Mastery of knowledge in data integrity and collection methods.
- Knowledge management and learning systems: Mastery of skills in Knowledge Management (system development, implementation, evaluation, and improvement), knowledge exchange and learning.
- Database Design and Management: Proven ability to design and manage databases with a strong customer orientation and focus on use.
- PC Applications: Proven ability to apply statistical software applications.
- Program and Project Planning and Management: Deep skills in program and project management and planning to fulfill performance objectives, including the timely implementation and reporting of donor-funded program activities.
- Change Leadership: Ability to demonstrate a high degree of flexibility in managing change across a broad group of stakeholders in an inclusive manner.
- Presentation Skills: Proven ability to make presentations on results to small and large groups.
- Community Relations: Mastery of skills in facilitating working relationships with key constituents.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.
- Languages Proven written and oral skills in English required; French preferable Communication and Influencing Skills: Proven ability to influence others, including donor agencies and local partners, through diplomacy and proven oral and written communication skills.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health: Demonstrated commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices.
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to work with people from different cultures, ability to thrive in a matrix organization, ability to be detailed-oriented, and ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-pace environment.
- Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
- Confidentiality: Ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related matters.
Minimally Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Master’s degree (or higher) in public health, demography, epidemiology, statistics, social sciences or a related field, or a combination of education and experience that yields the required competencies.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in MEL health/development and quality assurance.
- At least 5 years’ management and supervision experience.
- Prefer: Certification in Quality Assurance or Continuous Improvement.
- Travel required (at least 30%).
- Must be eligible to work in the US.
- Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer.
About the Organization
Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.