Abt Associates seeks a qualified Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Director for the anticipated five-year USAID-funded Early Grade Reading (EGR) project in Malawi. The project aims to improve literacy learning outcomes in primary schools nationwide. The MEL Director is responsible for the primary oversight and in-country leadership of all project MEL activities through the life of the program. In particular, s/he will develop and maintain project databases, data, and tools, and conduct analyses. S/he will lead the design of data collection tools, plan and provide oversight of data collection activities related to project monitoring, learning, and documentation, and provide continual reporting to project management. We are looking for individuals who are committed to exceeding expectations and who strive to improve the lives of people worldwide.
Position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates. Malawian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of the project MEL Plan, indicators, and learning agenda, including developing relevant indicators;
- Manage a rigorous approach to M&E to measure performance toward specific goals and objectives, including quantitative, qualitative, and participatory methodologies;
- Design data collection tools, schedules, analysis methods, and applied learning approaches for stakeholder training;
- Develop mechanisms to establish feedback loops to ensure that learning approaches and trainings inform and contribute to achievement of objectives under communications and training activities;
- Oversee implementation of a baseline study on the indicators, including review of tools and survey methodology and review of data quality and analysis;
- Oversee and lead qualitative and quantitative data collection processes and strategies;
- Contribute to quarterly strategy reviews as well as drafting core components of program progress reports to donor;
- Drive the project’s overall learning agenda to derive lessons learned and best practices from project activities, and contribute to quarterly program evaluations;
- Design and maintain integrity of project’s MEL database; and
- Supervise MEL staff.
- Master’s degree in statistics, social science, development economics or a related field;
- At least 10 years of experience in data management and analysis for M&E, learning and adaptive management;
- Skills in qualitative and quantitative analytical methods, data collection and analysis, and establishing MEL systems. Demonstrated ability to lead baseline, mid-term, and end-line data collection and analyses;
- Knowledge of and experience with M&E frameworks, and reporting systems;
- Experience with USAID programming required;
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Access and other MS Office software; data analysis software, e.g. SPSS or Stata;
- Experience with USAID’s collaborating, learning, and adapting (CLA) approach preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability working collaboratively and independently;
- Demonstrated team player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills; able to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams;
- Ability to resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior high-level country counterparts, donor representative and senior-level staff;
- Verbal and written fluency in the English language along with strong communications, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.