We are International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a global consulting firm working some of the most complex and impactful development problems worldwide. We work on programs that help government agencies, private companies and donors improve the lives of others. At IBTCI you will be part of an inclusive team that provides expert solutions and advice to understand and address critical problems while giving you opportunities to succeed and grow.
Job Title: Principal, Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning
Department/Location: Crisis, Conflict and Governance (CCG)/ Vienna, VA
Reports To: Senior Management
Type: Regular Full-Time
IBTCI is seeking a Principal, Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning to work in our CCG Practice (with a focus on Humanitarian Assistance and Stabilization) in Vienna, VA home office. This full-time position starts immediately. IBTCI is seeking a skilled professional who has previous experience in a similar role.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the oversight of the President, or his/her designee:
Practice Management Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the financial performance of the CCG Practice work in Humanitarian Assistance and Stabilization (HAS) including billability, burn rates, metrics, etc.
- Overall responsibility for increasing and maintaining exemplary CPAR scores for CCG/ HAS projects.
- Supervise, mentor and evaluate senior staff communicating clear performance objectives and standards, providing regular performance feedback.
- Promote staff development through coaching, mentoring, and facilitating professional growth opportunities.
- Promote and exemplify IBTCI core values and ethical standards and manage staff to adhere as well.
- In collaboration with staff, oversee the development of job descriptions and set performance objectives.
Program Management responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Overall accountability and responsibility for project implementation, management, and quality control activities of CCG (HAS) Practice projects while ensuring the highest level of client and corporate satisfaction as per quality, timeliness, cost control, compliance and management. Responsibilities may include:
- Serve in roles such as Senior Technical Advisor, Project Directo and/ or Quality Control Officer.
- Assume interim role (to fill temporary gaps) of team leadership/ key positions on US based projects.
- Responsible for all aspects of the project management cycle.
- Overall strategic technical oversight for contract implementation.
Technical responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Ensure technical rigor of contractual deliverables to the highest level of client and corporate satisfaction:
- Responsible for the oversight of the technical compliance of contractual deliverables and ensuring the quality of the final output of projects under the Practice and his/her direct management.
- Provide quality assurance technical reviews of key contractual deliverables and ensuring the quality of the final output of project within his/ her portfolio.
- Play a leadership role in helping teams find the best option to execute the technical work.
- Serve as a senior technical expert in multiple capacities/roles including:
- Assist in reviewing, amending, and authoring reports from a technical perspective in order to ensure top quality deliverables
- Provide qualitative and/or quantitative analysis in support of ongoing projects/evaluations;
- Program evaluations, assessments and related sector or policy studies;
- Lead or provide assistance in the design of performance management systems and evaluation frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Share and disseminate cutting edge technical trends, knowledge, skills and abilities with colleagues.
- Serve as Short Term Technical Assistance on prime and subcontract awards.
- Provide training and other specialized services as required.
Business Development (BD) responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Responsible for the growth of the Practice.
- Develop and implement with the CCG team practice strategic and business plans.
- Responsible for individual and practice business development and growth targets.
- Primary focus on practice areas but also ranging into cross-practice initiatives.
- Serve in roles such as technical champion/lead and/or lead writer on proposals and request for information.
- Lead and/or provide overall contributions to the technical approaches of proposals including, but not limited to, appropriate and innovative conceptual frameworks and methodologies.
- Undertake bid/no-bid vetting, teaming, recruitment, and proposal management (on smaller practice bids), to include all support activities through to timely submission of high quality offers.
- Represent IBTCI at BD related meetings with clients, partners and consultants.
Additional Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities
- Represent IBTCI in industry conference and workshops.
- Lead technical presentations at international conferences, workshops, and symposia.
- Author white papers, reports, or briefs to promote IBTCI intellectual prowess in its product and services.
- Provide in-house training to home and field staff on MERL methodologies or sector-related subject matter.
- Stay informed on industry market trends, best practices and state-of-the-art developments, and share with staff to ensure that the firm remains in the forefront of MERL and CCG (HAS) issues in international development.
- Travel is essential, and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. Up to 35% travel may be expected with this position.
- Other duties/tasks as assigned.
Progressively responsible senior management positions, in USG foreign assistance programs, including:
- Advanced degree and 20 years of international development experience in Crisis, Conflict, and Governance (CCG), specifically with the design and implementation of Conflict Assessment/ Mitigation activities; Disaster Assistance delivery and the monitoring and evaluation of that delivery; Humanitarian Assistance, and/ or Transition Initiatives and the monitoring and evaluation of that delivery
- 10 years of experience in M&E including demonstrated expertise: monitoring (e.g. indicator development, assessing data quality, developing M&E plans) and evaluation (e.g., evaluation design, data collection instruments, sampling, qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis).
- 10 years of progressively senior level management experience managing a business unit, practice and/or division.
- Demonstrated experience leading and writing successful technical proposals for international projects for USG clients.
- Experience in strategic planning and business planning.
- Management of a variety of contractual mechanisms.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) required.
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to work with all levels of the organization.
- Oral and written fluency in the English language is required.
Education: Master’s degree or the equivalent advanced degree in International Affairs, International Development, Policy Analysis, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration, Statistics/Social Research, or related fields.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Direct experience in a technical capacity in M&E under USG projects.
- Management of multiple projects in a variety of settings simultaneously.
- Experience working with USAID is highly desirable.
- Experience with non-USG international development clients is a plus.
- Experience in all aspects of the business proposal process: capture strategy management; teaming/partnering; research; recruitment; writing; red-teaming; technical inputs for costing, etc.
- Demonstrable results oriented, flexible and problem solving skills.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment. Currently the company is allowing for remote work due to COVID 19 in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia (DMV) area. This can be updated by the company.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International travel may be required and may include travel to fragile and/or conflict-prone zones.
Work Authorization: Candidate must be authorized to work in the U.S.A. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
About the Organization
IBTCI has been in business since 1987. We specialize in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL), Institutional Support (IS), Financial & Risk Management (FRM), Supply Chain Management & Procurement (SCMP); Social & Behavior Change (SBC) and Capacity Building. We provide these services across many sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture, resilience & food security, conflict & crisis, democracy & governance, economic growth & trade, education, energy & Infrastructure, environment & climate change, global health & WASH and humanitarian and disaster assistance. At IBTCI, our colleagues are encouraged to collaborate and be part of the solution while getting the tools and guidance needed to grow and support our clients' missions.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identification, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact the Talent Acquisition team at TalentAcquisition@ibtci.com.