Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned nutrition projects. This involves effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, time frame and budget with a focus on nutrition system strengthening, training and coordination. Providing technical support, leadership and strategic direction, other important aspects of the role include managing and training nutrition staff to meet quality standards in nutrition delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and managing and training nutrition staff, and anticipating, planning, and contributing to the development of new nutrition project proposals and reports.
Medair’s emergency response team and partner World Concern completed shelter and hygiene kit distributions for Rohingya refugees in November, 2017, and Medair is now transitioning into longer-term programming with a focus on nutrition services in the refugee camps. The nutrition sites and supply chain will require significant set up in areas that are currently difficult to access. The Medair is team is also pursuing opportunities to implement additional distributions of emergency shelter, hygiene and household items, especially to newly arriving refugees. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Field based position in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. Take a look at Medair’s work in Bangladesh.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
July 2018. Full time, 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
Nutrition Project Management
- Manage projects in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame and report promptly any operational concerns to line manager and country nutrition advisor.
- Ensure positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities and local nutrition staff.
- Contribute to development of an appropriate and effective nutrition strategy including proactive planning for responsible exit.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for nutrition activities in collaboration with the country nutrition advisor, nutrition staff, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities
- Continuously monitor and supervise nutrition activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data, and involving the nutrition team in analysis and taking appropriate action as needed to ensure continued progress.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to applicable time frames and formats.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps and the Medair country strategy.
- Line-manage the Nutrition Managers, including day-to-day management, training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and welcome feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff to develop ownership and full responsibility.
- Manage the nutrition budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop appropriate and regular communication structures with Medair staff and other relevant stakeholders, with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in nutrition coordination meetings, Medair internal trainings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to staff and managers on relevant issues.
- Support the logistics activities of nutrition staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of medicines, supplies and equipment for the assigned nutrition facilities and activities.
- Ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Ensure nutrition projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification, preferably in nutrition or in another relevant field such as nursing/midwifery/doctor/community-based training.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience. Management in a nutrition / health context.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international protocols.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Committed to consultative and servant minded leadership. Experience in training and mentoring staff.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Able to set clear objectives, enforce procedures and take initiative in project decisions.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills. Capacity to work under pressure and manage stress levels.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.