The Georgia Energy Security Program aims to support Georgia in its journey towards energy security through improved energy sector planning, increased investment in renewable energy financed by the private sector, building domestic energy market capacity through Georgian institutions, and protecting the nation’s energy sector though enhanced cybersecurity and resilience. The USAID Georgia Energy Security Program will be structured to include four major objectives and four cross-cutting priorities, including: Objective 1: Improved Energy System Planning, Objective 2: Increased Investment to Promote Energy Sector Resilience, Objective 3: Improved Governance and Operations of Well-Functioning Georgian Energy Market, and Objective 4: Reduced Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities. The project also includes Cross-cutting priorities: 1. Journey to Self-Reliance (J2SR); 2. Private Sector Engagement (PSE); 3. Gender and Youth; and Collaborating, Learning and Adapting (CLA).
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Objective 2 Lead, Increased Investment to Promote Energy Sector Resilience, for the USAID Georgia Energy Security Program. The position will be based out of Tbilisi, Georgia and is contingent upon project award.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage all technical activities related to Objective 2 and coordinate with other Objective Leads and cross cutting priority staff to achieve overall program success
- Directly liaison with USAID, other key US Governments organizations, private sector institutions, senior government officials and counterparts, and the donor community
- Directly report to the Chief of Party and coordinates closely with the Deputy Chief of Party
- An advanced degree in energy policy, economics, environmental studies, engineering, business, or a related field
- Experience managing international development energy projects as a senior manager: experience managing USAID energy activities preferred
- Experience supporting donor-funded energy projects in developing countries: in Eastern Europe/the Caucasus is preferred.
- Ten or more years of experience supporting countries increase domestic and international private sector investment in the energy sector in order to achieve resilience and sustainability, including de-risking markets and establishing public private partnerships
- Knowledge of EU energy sector requirements for participation in a regional and pan-European energy market
- Experience developing or leading teams to develop communication and outreach campaigns to engage communities and other stakeholders with the aim of overcoming resistance to new energy investments, preferably including from renewable sources
- Demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders, including national governments, the donor community, and private sector, civil society, and academia
- Demonstrated experience working with and building the capacity of the private sector, government institutions, regulators, utilities, financial institutions, project developers, and natural gas system operators
- Knowledge of Georgia’s energy and climate change policies, laws, organizations, and capacity constraints, including the solar, wind, hydropower and natural gas sectors
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomacy, and leadership skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate subordinates
- Fluency in English and Georgian required
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.