Since 1963 and in 145 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society. ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 78 projects in 41 countries and revenues of over $124 million.
Onion Expert, West Africa
ACDI/VOCA is currently seeking a short-term onion expert for the four-year USAID-funded Agribusiness and Trade Promotion (ATP) project. ATP aims to increase the value and volume of intraregional agricultural trade in its value chain development and associated activities along the major commercial corridors linking Senegal, Mali, Burkina Faso, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire and Nigeria. The onion expert will responsible for the capacity building of regional onion suppliers by working in conjunction with the perishable and semiperishable vegetables expert.
- Complement the skills of the international expert in perishable and semiperishable vegetables with knowledge of onion production, harvesting, sorting and commercialization.
- Coordinate with perishable and semiperishable vegetables expert in developing manuals and training materials appropriate for the local context.
- Implement training on a local level utilizing newly developed manuals.
- Provide technical support to strengthen and develop value chains related to onions.
- Advanced degree in agriculture, agribusiness or related field from an accredited university.
- Experience in processing and post-harvest handling of calibrated, packaged and weighed onions.
- Prior experience with local and national associations, private sector organizations, stakeholders, and non-governmental organizations in West Africa.
- Minimum of seven years of professional work experience in agribusiness development, particularly in developing training materials and executing trainings within a West African context.
- Experience in enhancement of all components of value chain.
- Experience in (institutional) technical capacity building.
- Experience in West Africa and French fluency required.
- Knowledge of USAID policies and procedures preferred.
Please apply online at . No phone calls please. Only finalists contacted. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. EOE.