Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status. Location: London, with overseas travel
Type of contract: Full-time
Humanitarian and Stabilisation Operations Team (HSOT) provides security advice, deployments, administrative, and other support services to the UK Stabilisation Unit (SU). The SU is a cross-government unit supporting UK government efforts to tackle instability overseas. It is located in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, King Charles Street, London SW1, which would be the principal place of work for this role. See www.stabilisationunit.gov.uk for more information on the SU. We are looking for an Operational Security Adviser to join our security team. The team currently consists of two other Operational Security Advisers and a Security Desk Officer.
The role involves advising the SU on security arrangements for its overseas deployees, as it serves the rest of Government in its efforts to tackle instability overseas.
* Provide specialist security advice and support to SU activities and deployments to fragile and conflict affected environments, from planning and development through to operational delivery
* Produce risk assessments and draft submissions that can be used to inform both risk owners and deploying staff on the risks and mitigations associated with deployments to specific, often high-threat, locations
* Self-deploy, as necessary, to conduct security assessments and fact-finding in fragile and hostile environments
* Complete comprehensive written reports with clear recommendations for the mitigation of assessed threats and risks
* Deliver pre-deployment and post-deployment briefs for Stabilisation Unit deployees
* Provide security support as necessary to deployed staff, including the provision of additional advice and the staffing (where appropriate) of approvals for high risk travel in mission
* Initiate and manage information and threat warnings to deployed Stabilisation Unit staff, potentially within compressed timelines
* Provide out of hours security advice and support to the Senior Leadership Team
* Be prepared to deploy at short notice in a crisis response deployment that requires integrated security advice / management
* Assess security threats and trends affecting SU deployees
* Undertake any other advisory duties as directed by the Senior Operational Security Advisor
* Extensive experience of operating in hostile environments overseas
* Track record of providing security and safety advice for personnel and infrastructure against a spectrum of threats
* Experience in producing written risk assessments under time pressure that reflect the realities faced by deployed staff
* A broad understanding of international security issues, current affairs
* A proven track record of support to deployed staff in a dynamic, operationally-focused environment
* High quality written and verbal communication skills; unambiguous and succinct when dealing with complex ideas
* The intellectual rigour and proven ability to synthesise information from multiple sources to provide effective security advice and assessments
* Comfortable working to tight deadlines without sacrificing accuracy, and able to respond effectively to short notice assignments under pressure
* Able to anticipate operational safety requirements based on imperfect information and indicators - happy to embrace uncertainty and work with ambiguity
* Able to work both independently and as a team member
* A proven track record in briefing policy and operational requirements to senior management, staff and other parties concisely and effectively
* Able to be authoritative when necessary; withstanding challenge whilst sustaining effective working relationships across Whitehall and the security community
* Previous Whitehall / HMG experience would be an advantage
* A working knowledge of relevant Health and Safety legislation would be an advantage
* Experience in the preparation and delivery of security & safety training would be an advantage
Security clearance requirement: Current UK Security Check (SC) essential. Developed Vetting (DV) desirable
Please note that applicants must already hold the right to work in the UK and current UK government Security Check (SC) security clearance.
Applicants must be medically fit enough to deploy to high-threat environments and pass the SU’s hostile environment training course on taking up the role.
Location(s): England - - London with international travel