Abt Associates seeks a qualified Operations Director for the anticipated five-year USAID-funded Early Grade Reading (EGR) project in Malawi. The project aims to improve literacy learning outcomes in primary schools nationwide. The Operations Director is responsible for the primary oversight and in-country leadership of all operations and logistics related to project activity implementation, including nationwide teacher training and material distribution through the life of the program. In particular, s/he will plan and oversee operations related to implementation of project activities and conduct continual oversight and support of activity logistics and operations nationwide. We are looking for individuals who are committed to exceeding expectations and who strive to improve the lives of people worldwide.
The position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi, and is contingent upon project award to Abt Associates. Malawian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Plan and oversee logistics and operations for nationwide project activities;
- Coordinate with project staff and Ministry of Education (MoE) officials nationwide to ensure proper planning, implementation, and reporting of project activity logistics and operations;
- Ensure management information systems are maintained and updated regularly according to Abt Associates policies to ensure systems reliability;
- Support accurate processing and documentation of activity procurements following USAID regulations and Abt Associates policies;
- Oversee organization of events such as workshops, meetings, as well as any fieldwork logistics, for nationwide programmatic activities;
- Develop the capacity of divisions and district-based project staff and MoE officials.
- Frequent travel to project field offices will be required to ensure program activities are running smoothly and project staff are meeting both budgetary and work plan targets.
- A Master’s in business administration, program management, operations or related field and att least six years of experience implementing international development projects in a developing country context with an emphasis on nationwide teacher training operations and logistics or a Bachelor’s degree and at least eight years of relevant experience;
- Experience with USAID-funded education projects highly preferred;
- Experience providing support and coordination to education stakeholders at division or district level;
- Proven success in collaborating and coordinating with multiple stakeholders to implement complex nationwide training activities;
- Demonstrated team player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills; able to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members;
- Ability and track record of working as part of a busy team and working effectively under pressure to tight deadlines;
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; and
- Fluency in written and spoken Chichewa required.
- Master’s degree and 6-8 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.