Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Operations Manager Business Development, Program Design, and Effectiveness will work with a deep understanding of the Business Development and Program Effectiveness function across the global organization providing support directly to the SVP of Business Development, Program Design, and Effectiveness, as well as operational management that supports the entire division. This position will manage operations functions including but not limited to logistics support, scheduling, expense reporting, contracts management, interfacing and negotiation with vendors, budget management and/or support, meeting management and facilitation, notes and activity management for the SVP and other department leaders as needed. This position is the go-to person to troubleshoot and problem solve any operational issue that arises and needs both immediate attention and/or long-term system or functional management system developed and maintained.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Committed to Heifer’s strategic vision and values; organized and detail-oriented; great communication skills; thrives in a team environment; ability to work through complex problems; maintains a positive attitude; service-oriented; can work with minimal supervision and is comfortable creating structure when it is needed and understands the need to be agile in all aspects of our work in order to meet deliverables as assigned.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Lead day-to-day operations of the Business Development, Program Design and Effectiveness Department at the direction of the SVP (40%)
· Improved business processes across the department through management of routine processes, including liaison with Human Resources on employee recruitment and management, legal team for contracts, IT for logistics and other relevant support, procurement for vendor recruitment, and other departments for scheduling while ensuring alignment with organizational requirements
· Procedures for the successful implementation of operations that support the department’s priorities – on time, on scope, on budget
· Details of the department operations budget and cost analysis of departmental and cross-cutting work are well managed and support efficiencies and continuous improvement
· Day-to-day financial management of invoices, credit card statements and/or other accounts payable well managed and overseen.
B. Support to SVP (30%)
· Proactively manage an accurate calendar for the SVP, including online scheduling of internal and external, domestic and international appointments and meetings
· SVP well supported in communications including development of SVP communication content, messages and presentations; responses to written, oral and electronic inquiries; screened and prioritized correspondence, reports, presentations and other information for internal and external use.
· Administrative support to SVP ensured including contract management and travel arrangements
C. Support the strategic processes for organizing departmental decision making and management (25%)
- Work in close collaboration with the BD/PE management team and Operations Manager for CME to ensure budget is updated to pipeline spending vs forecast on a monthly basis.
- Provide support to the SVP to keep an up-to-date internal team working document of new business opportunities and other Program Effectiveness work streams organized for presentation and management purposes in different formats and ready for dissemination to internal and external team members at SVP request.
- Develop and maintain the Departmental sharing folders that will be made available to internal and external team members at SVP request; provide all documents to SVP upon request.
- Manage other initiatives as required by current work for sub-departments including knowledge management, Program Management Systems, and Monitoring and reporting.
D. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
Bachelor’s degree plus seven (7) years’ job-related experience.
At least one (1) year in a supervisory capacity.
Most Critical Proficiencies
a) Demonstrate deep understanding of Heifer’s core mission and values and the global context in which we operate.
b) Skills in managing across complex work, bringing structure, prioritization and applying project management skills.
c) Be a team player. Proven ability to build deep and lasting relationships with a variety of internal partners, with whom no direct line supervision exists.
d) Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people, especially in a fast-paced environment.
e) Ability to understanding the comprehensive and strategic agenda of the Mission Effectiveness work while also seeing the implications for details of operations and translating that to action.
f) Ability to quickly assess and prioritize competing interests, such that those which are most important are given the direct attention of the CME, including the ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures independently, and use sound judgment and discretion.
g) Be a problem solver - work in a solution-oriented way, exploring and deploying technologies appropriately to ensure the operations and broader dissemination of Mission Effectiveness work and materials.
h) Detail-oriented with excellent project management skills.
i) Ability to command attention and respect in formal and informal meetings or presentations, coupled with professionalism and integrity.
j) Ability to promote Heifer with external representatives externally and internally as a surrogate for senior leadership.
k) Strong scheduling, e-mail, and Internet/Intranet skills.
l) Demonstrated experience and success holding prior positions that required high level of sensitivity and confidentiality.
m) Extensive experience using computers as a tool for word processing, communications and organizing. Must possess demonstrable skills using Microsoft Word, Outlook, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Excel.
n) Knowledge of financial management sufficient to effectively monitor budgets and expenses.
o) Ability to be proactive in anticipating any needs of the CME and Mission Effectiveness team and collaborators.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
a) Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines, establish priorities and make sound judgments often in a fast-paced environment and the flexibility, energy, and attention to detail needed to manage a heavy workload and rapidly changing contexts.
b) Ability to proofread correspondence for correct punctuation and grammar, and produce documents in a well-designed, attractive format with impeccable attention to detail.
c) May require constant sitting and moving, working at a computer for extended periods.
d) Occasional bending and lifting of up to 20 pounds (9 kilograms).
e) Must have access to reliable transportation.
f) Must be eligible to work in the United States.
g) Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
h) Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.