R4D’s Evaluation and Adaptive Learning Team conducts targeted research using methods such as randomized control trials (RCTs) to answer questions relevant to donor and practitioner strategies, help partners use monitoring systems to get valuable feedback in real-time, and work with partners to design, experiment with, and evaluate solutions to accelerate their impact.
R4D is seeking an Operations Officer to support the rapidly expanding Evaluation and Adaptive Learning practice’s (E&AL) portfolio. The E&AL practice focuses on monitoring, evaluation, and learning through a growing portfolio of projects to design, test, and adapt, and evaluate interventions to improve their social impact.
As an integral member of the E&AL team, the Operations Officer will work closely with team leads to devise and execute strategies and systems that support operational excellence of the E&AL portfolio. The E&AL practice is at an exciting juncture of rapid growth and the team has been working over the past years to improve strategic budgeting and resource management, program management and quality control, and a teambuilding and human resources strategy.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial, strategic, and creative individual to help us take this work forward during an exciting juncture of rapid growth within our portfolio. Previous experience developing and managing budgets, strong verbal and written communication skills, and an ability to think creatively and strategically about how to improve organizational systems and practices is required. Knowledge of procurement processes, grants management, and prior experience managing USAID budgets, is also desired.
The opportunity represents a chance to work with a highly collaborative team which embraces innovation and learning together, taking ownership over critical components of the team’s operations.
This position is based in Washington DC and will report to the Senior Director, Integrated Services.
- Propose system and process improvements for E&AL portfolio operations, facilitate leadership decision-making, and implement agreed-upon changes
- Manage team “innovation” sprints
- Develop and manage the E&AL team operations workplan and identify areas poised for improvement and streamlining
- Support the strategic development and planning for the E&AL portfolio’s continued long-term growth
- Develop and manage budgets and other financial tracking systems across the E&AL portfolio
- Manage all ongoing operational needs for E&AL projects, including for USAID-funded projects for which R4D is the prime awardee
- Provide team-wide financial forecasting to ensure team coverage, accurate financial spend down, and future fundraising needs
- Lead supervision of funder reporting processes, including overseeing and taking a proactive management role of financial record keeping
- Manage the business development pipeline, including identifying and implementing improved systematic reviews of opportunities
- Manage the recruitment, hiring, and onboarding process for new staff members and consultants
- Coordinate the development of consistent, well-branded outward facing materials
- Serve as a team resource for all questions related to budget development and compliance
- Serve as liaison between finance, operations, and human resource teams for the E&AL portfolio
- Track R4D and partner spending to ensure accuracy and compliance with funder regulations
- Identify, negotiate, and implement contracts and other agreements with donors and subs-grantees
- BA (or MA) in public health/administration, business/management, or relevant field
- Strategic and creative problem solver who is adept at developing efficient systems and decision-making processes
- Experience developing budgets, tracking and managing resources, and/or supporting recruitment and program management efforts required
- Highly collaborative and approachable team member who is enthusiastic about supporting the E&AL team and working closely with others at R4D
- Excellent oral and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present complicated and detailed data to team leads
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability
- Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment across multiple projects and work streams with competing time/resource demands
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Enthusiastic about joining a diverse and inclusive work environment; and
- Energy, good judgement, and humor
About the Organization
Results for Development (R4D) is a global nonprofit organization working with partners around the world to find new ways to help people escape poverty and reach their full potential. We apply fresh thinking and rigor to emerging and stubborn development challenges—particularly within the fields of health, education and governance—and we pioneer and advance creative, high-impact solutions. We do this by conducting analysis that helps to inform and influence decision-makers; building platforms and networks that connect people and ideas; by providing direct support to local change agents; and combining these approaches to deliver meaningful and lasting results.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D and we want to keep it that way. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative, and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.