Job Title/Grade: Operations Specialist/Senior Operations Specialist (Grades 7-8)
Department: USG Operations and Systems
Reports to: Senior Manager – Field Operations
Function of the Position
Plans, coordinates and implements initiatives aimed at enhancing operational excellence performance in the home office and in the field. Implements quality control and assurance functions as assigned by the direct supervisor and prepares compliance reports for management’s use. The Operations Specialist will use data to solve important business problems, and will translate goals into tactical operations. The person in this position will navigate raw data to explain complex problems in a logical and simple way. This position works within DAI’s Operations & Systems department and is mainly expected to provide operational support for start-up and close-down activities.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the resolution of systemic and complex overarching operational issues.
- Supports operational excellence initiatives on behalf of Operations and Systems, including the roll out of new systems, applications and procedures.
- As directed by the Senior Manager – Field Operations, plans and coordinates efforts with other USG and corporate departments to standardize, streamline and improve systems and processes, proactively seeking Delivery-wide performance improvements.
- Analyzes information, compiles data and prepares reports on compliance by Delivery staff with quality control and assurance requirements.
Field Operations and Accounting
- Assist in the field set-up, training, and implementation of DAI’s Field Accounting System (FAS); travel to international project sites to deliver training and conduct implementation activities
- Train field finance staff on DAI and establish local financial and accounting processes and procedures using FAS as the financial management tool; provide on-going follow-up FAS technical support post-implementation
- Assist in the development and update of FAS and field accounting work instructions and training tools as part of team efforts.
- Provide on-going support, trouble-shooting and financial management assistance to DAI projects with respect to field financial and project management as warranted, and in the context of USG Operations and Systems objectives
- Liaise between home office finance teams and field accountants to resolve critical issues related to the adoption of FAS on DAI projects
Project Start- Up
- Support startup teams to ensure startups are conducted properly. Make timely decisions; escalate to appropriate decision-makers as needed; inform Chief of Party (COP), Start Up Manager and Project Manager of key management or technical issues on the projects.
- Prepare for startup needs at the pre-award stage of assigned projects. Identify “likely awards” and work with the Region representatives to identify champions to work on pre-award preparation.
- Review and check work performed by the startup team prior to departure and attend startup QA (Quality Assurance) meetings. Reports on the day-to-day activity of startups and requests advice and guidance on in resolving problem solving if required.
- Lead and contribute to initiatives to improve startup processes. Review new policies and procedures for startup and, where needed and approved, implement changes to existing policies and procedures. Assist in the design and delivery of startup trainings
- Oversee other STTA members on a startup activity as mobilizing Start Up Manager or support the field start-up team with operational tasks as assigned such as field accounting, field accountant and other staff recruitment, or field procurement.
- Contributes to the design and development of tools and resources aimed at improving operational efficiency, effectiveness, and compliance at the field office level.
- Supports policy drafting for Field orientation, training content development for Start-up and close down activities.
- Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
Grade 7: Minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree or 2 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree.
Grade 8: Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree or 3 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree.
- Self-starter with sounds technical skills, good judgment, and a strong operational focus.
- Knowledge of U.S. government contracting regulations, policies and procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, superior analytical skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (ie., PowerPoint, Excel, and Word)..
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and shift priorities quickly without compromising quality of work.
- Must be able to travel on operational assignments, 25-35% on average, for DAI projects.
Equivalent years of experience and education will be considered.
- 1 year of experience providing operational and management support to USAID funded projects.
- Field operations experience.
- Knowledge of Oracle.
- Working level proficiency in Spanish.
Supervisory Requirements: None
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. EOE - Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
About the Organization
DAI is an employee-owned global development company. For 40 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governments, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 60 countries. Our integrated development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines—crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS and disease control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.