Post level: Internationally Recruited Staff
Type of contract: Fixed term 3 year (option to renew based on performance and budget)
Language(s) required: English (native/fluent writing and oral skills) and French (preferable)
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for an enthusiastic and results-driven Outreach and Strategic Communication Specialist to join our busy and dynamic Communications and Marketing team at the WorldFish headquarters. If you are passionate about working with world-class scientists and engaging with different policymakers, donors and development practitioners to inform and influence the global sustainable development agenda - through scientific evidence and innovative solutions - on issues as diverse as climate change, sustainable ocean governance and inclusive blue growth, food and nutrition security, poverty and livelihoods, gender equality and environmental sustainability, then this is the job for you.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing and working closely with the Office of the Director General, you will be responsible for creating and implementing bold, innovative outreach and communications activities to build and consolidate WorldFish’s position and image as a trusted thought leader and maximize the outreach and impact of its research work and innovations. Your main responsibilities will focus on: 1) content development and implementation; 2) engagement of target audiences and stakeholders through innovative outreach and strategic communication events and activities; 3) public and media relations, and; 4) learning and innovation for improving processes and results of the outreach and strategic communications effort.
You must have a strong foundation in all aspects of outreach and strategic communications, reflected in your experience with strategic planning, development and implementation of complex communication activities, including high-level events. Moreover, you are a digital native with experience working both strategically and tactically with different digital tools – ideally applying omni-channel approaches. You love to think and plan strategically, and more so you to get going with effective execution. You understand what it takes to create messaging and design processes that engage target audiences. You can grasp complex concepts and structures quickly and can think on your feet. Excellent customer service and relations come naturally to you, and your top-notch interpersonal skills enable you to work well with different people, as well as inspire and motivate them. Most importantly, you are structured and well-organized, and able to handle multiple issues and shifting priorities with ease.
This is a challenging and exciting role for a stellar communicator with strong writing skills, excellent public relations experience and the incurable intellectual curiosity to always learn and push yourself outside of the comfort zone. You must be passionate about science and communications and have a knack for seizing opportunities. You have a proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and people across different regions and time-zones, as well different functions and disciplines.
We are looking for someone who embodies and demonstrates a strong results-driven work ethic that.
Your results-driven work ethic and your approach to constant learning and innovation sets the bar for others to deliver high-quality results time and again. You have a flair for bringing out the best in multidisciplinary teams operating in complex research programs and the multicultural setting of an international organization, and more importantly you know how to build trust, enable effective teamwork and exceed the expectations of key customers, audiences and partners of WorldFish.
To find out more about the role, please check out the full job description here before applying.
- A master’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, environmental science and/or a related discipline.
- At least 8 years of relevant professional work experience in media/communications, preferably internationally, and experience with a range of strategic communications tools and techniques.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated professional experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex outreach and strategic communications activities for a regional or global organization, operating in the research, policy or development sector.
- Demonstrable experience with conducting in-depth policy and issue research in a variety of areas relating to the global sustainable development agenda.
- Have a proven strong understanding of how media works, and experience with traditional (print, press, TV, Radio, etc.), digital communications and outreach tools and channels (websites, blogs, campaigns, video, multimedia etc.) and social media outlets (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, Instagram, YouTube)
- Proven ability to connect individual communications activities, initiatives and products to higher-level organizational strategies and goals, and strategize at both macro and micro levels;
- A strong creative writer with a flair for narrative and storytelling and proven ability to digest, critically analyze and present complex information clearly, concisely and compellingly in a wide variety of formats to non-scientific audiences.
- Strong attention to detail, evidence, process and design.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure with diverse teams scattered across different time zones and geographies, and to manage complex content production processes and schedules.
- A dynamic team player with a strong client service approach and outstanding interpersonal communications skills to establish and maintain strong working relationships with executives, senior scientists, partners, experts
- Proficiency in MS Office tools and applications; working knowledge of Drupal, Adobe Suite
- Experience working for an international research organization similar to WorldFish an advantage.
- Fluency in English is essential, while other languages (esp. French) an advantage
- Willingness to travel and work in the field for an estimated of 4-6 weeks per year.
ABOUT OUR OFFER
The position will be based at WorldFish headquarters in Penang, Malaysia. The initial employment contract will be for a 3-year period, with possibility for renewal depending on performance and the availability of funding. This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with an annual salary ranging between USD 56,000 and USD 60,000 gross per annum and a package of comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) housing allowance*, relocation and repatriation assistance*, dependent education allowance*, home leave entitlement*, comprehensive insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension/provident fund contribution.
Note: Items marked * are not applicable to staff recruited as Home Country Internationals (nationals of the country of posting). All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online latest by 3 April 2020:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Candidates will be screened on a rolling basis and continue until the application deadline by 03 April 2020. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to take a written test and interviews will be held during April/May 2020. The successful candidate should be ideally available to commence as soon as possible and preferably within one month of receiving the offer.
Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest but only short-listed candidates will be notified.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. As an equal opportunities employer, we strongly encourage women and nationals from developing countries to apply.