The position will be on the upcoming Uganda Strategic Investment Activity (SIA), a 5-year USAID-funded activity aiming to increase foreign and domestic investment in agriculture and related industries in Uganda. The purpose of this activity is to facilitate commercial investments that yield and advance development objectives. This Activity seeks to facilitate development-related transactions and engagements to catalyze varying forms of investment capital.
The role of the position is to oversee activities pertaining to Objective 2 of the activity: improved policies, laws, and regulations regarding commercial investments. Activities related to this objective are expected to include policy reform/improvement advocacy (could include the development, discussion, passing and gazetting of policy and/or other regulatory instruments). The Policy Lead will provide leadership, management, and general technical direction of activities related to this objective. The position requires significant coordination skills, broad general and technical knowledge, an ability to cope with multiple interests and challenges, experience in developing countries, and skills to ensure coherence and consistency in the face of urgent deadlines.
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the development and implementation of all elements of the activity related to Objective 2
- Collaborate closely with the Chief of Party (COP) in order to steer the technical direction and strategy of during implementation and ensure an integrated vision across the project’s objectives, with particular focus on Objective 2
- Oversee all policy-related components of the activity
- Along with the COP, serve as point of contact for stakeholders in the Ugandan investment policy sphere
- Solicit feedback from public and private stakeholders on obstacles to investment and export promotion
- Provide technical expertise in global best practice in investment policy – as well as its effects on trade and export facilitation – and adapt it to the Ugandan context; identifying gaps that may exist within the current regulatory environment
- Establish and ensure compliance with USAID policy and procedures
- Work with the Chief of Party (COP) and non-key personnel staff to continuously refine implementation processes for Objective 2 by integrating lessons learned and best practices throughout the program
- Assist the COP and other objective leads with other project components as required
- All other duties deemed necessary by the Chief of Party and his/her designate
- Extensive international work experience, particularly in Uganda and/or other countries in the region, implementing multisectoral, policy-focused development programs (with much of this particularly related to finance and agriculture/ agribusiness) with demonstrated strong management and coordinating skills
- Strong policy expertise, demonstrated by significant experience working with projects and activities related to policy reform, particularly around areas of commercial investment and agriculture
- Experience with USAID and other USG funding agencies. Additional experience with other international donors preferred.
- Significant management experience, including direct supervision of professional and support staff and assembling teams working on multifaceted, complex international development programs.
- Extensive experience working in the agriculture, finance, or agribusiness sector in Uganda and/or other countries in the region
- Microsoft office suite proficiency and the ability to operate spreadsheet and word-processing programs at a highly proficient level
- Proactive problem-solving, decision-making and good judgment skills
- Attention to detail and ability to effectively and efficiently perform multiple tasks and balance competing priorities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English. Proficiency in Swahili and other international languages an advantage
- Ability to communicate effectively with managers, colleagues, service providers and clients
- Professional and mature demeanor and conduct
- Ugandan nationals preferred. Prior work in Uganda required.
Ugandan nationals are encouraged to apply.
*To be considered for this position, applicants must submit their resume/CV to UgandaSIA@headgloballlc.com with the subject line “Uganda SIA — [Job Title]. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. Palladium offers competitive compensation and benefits and we are eager to have innovative people join our team.*
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development, and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities, and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.