The LHSS Project is USAID’s flagship initiative in integrated health systems strengthening, with a goal to help low- and middle- income countries transition to sustainable, self-financed health systems as a means to support universal health coverage. The project will support country-level efforts to reduce financial barriers to health care, ensure equitable access to essential health services for all people, and improve the quality of health care. Equally important, it will equip host countries to sustain progress after the project ends. It will do so by ensuring that local institutions and organizations have the technical capacity and expertise to independently design, implement, and manage continued health system strengthening activities.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Principal Advisor for the upcoming USAID-funded Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Cambodia Activity. Through this activity, the LHSS project will assist the Royal Government of Cambodia (RGC) to increase support for the National Social Health Protection Council and sub-national health management and budget units. The LHSS support will increase efficiency and effectiveness of domestic resources at the subnational level, and enhance a sustainable transition of USG funded health programs. This SOW will focus on the areas of health financing and more broadly social security systems to: increase financing of health from domestic sources, while reducing out-of-pocket expenditures; reduce financial barriers that inhibit access to priority health services; and increase efficiency of health sector resource allocation at the subnational level.
LHSS will build on the work Health Policy Plus (HP+) conducted in 2018-2020 with the General Secretariat National Social Protection Council (GS-NSPC) to implement the National Social Protection Policy Framework (NSPPF). This will include improving the ability of the RGC to plan, finance, and implement solutions to its social health development challenges. It will support the implementation of the framework, and will leverage existing USAID investments by supporting the subnational budgeting and health finance work in six provinces: Battambang, Kampong Cham, Kampong Chhnang, Pailin, Phnom Penh, and Tbong Khmum. Lastly, LHSS will enhance Cambodia’s journey to self-reliance through supporting a sustainable transition to domestic resources for health programs historically funded by external donors.
This work will span two key results:
- Result 1: Expand social protection systems through global standards and best practices incorporated into the implementation of the National Social Protection Framework to improve transparency and accountability.
- Result 2: Strengthen the decentralization of health financing functions to ensure effective use of resources for health to improve transparency and accountability.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of the Principal Advisor will be developing and executing work to support provinces under the new decentralization and de-concentration system. This includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Establish and foster relationships at the provincial level with the provincial governors and other stakeholders in the health sector, including HIV and AIDS.
- Identify the appropriate support the aforementioned stakeholders need by co-assessing provincial needs around budgeting and planning.
- Travel independently to up to six provinces and collaborate with stakeholders to build capacity as needed around budgeting practices and planning principles, so they can translate health plans into budgets and strengthen and improve health budgeting processes as necessary.
- Work with the appropriate national bodies (NAA, NCHADS, MoI, etc.) to develop their capacity to act as stewards in the D&D process in which provinces develop and budget health plans.
The Principal Advisor will work closely with the COP throughout these tasks, and collaborate with the COP to strategize how to establish relationships with and then work with the national partners and the provinces.
- The Principal Advisor is expected to have the strategic vision, leadership qualities, depth and breadth of technical expertise and experience, professional reputation, management experience, interpersonal skills and written and oral presentation skills to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of key roles and responsibilities.
- Master’s Degree (minimum), or a Doctorate (desirable), in Health Economics/Health Finance (preferred), Public Health, Management, Medicine, Health Administration, or other relevant field.
- 10+ (15+ desirable) years of relevant professional experience in managing progressively complex health programs. Experience in working in USAID programs is preferred (but not required).
- Should be familiar with RGC budgeting, planning, timelines, and stakeholders
- Recognized expertise in heath financing, with demonstrated success in strengthening health financing, including social health protection schemes and domestic resource mobilization.
- Proven track record of working effectively with government counterparts at various levels, ideally in South East Asia. Experience in Cambodia is highly preferred.
- Substantial developing country context experience, combining health systems strengthening, health insurance, and health financing. Previous experience building capacity and/or mentoring on these topics in a developing country context desirable.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills and ability to lead and motivate multidisciplinary, multicultural teams.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with USAID, ministry officials, and other development partners and a proven track record of interacting with other projects, high-level host country governments and international agencies.
- A proven, successful record of achieving results.
- Fluency in English is required; fluency in Khmer highly desirable.
Both Cambodian nationals and international applicants encouraged to apply.
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.