The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) was founded to bring countries together to address Asia’s daunting infrastructure funding gap. Our mission is to improve economic and social development in Asia and beyond through a focus on sustainable infrastructure, cross-border connectivity and private capital mobilization. AIIB has 103 members, including 21 prospective members, and has an authorized capital of USD100 billion, of which USD20 billion is paid in. AIIB is a triple-A rated institution.
AIIB’s Investment Operations are divided into two regional teams, 1 and 2. Each regional team is led by a Vice President (VP) and reporting staff includes client relations specialists, technical specialists and bankers. Region 1 is responsible for South East Asia and South Asia (except Pakistan and Afghanistan), while Region 2 covers Pakistan, Afghanistan, Central Asia, East Asia, West Asia, Europe, Africa and Latin America. The Banking Department under each team has the following verticals:
- Capital markets and structured products;
- Digital infrastructure and industry;
- Financial institutions and syndication; and
- Private equity.
The Banking Department, Region 1 is looking for a Principal Investment Officer who will be tasked to originate, structure and execute infrastructure and infrastructure-related investments. These investments will involve both direct and indirect equity investments through externally managed funds. All investments must be in accordance with sound banking principles, including the assessment of commercial and financial viability, structuring according to international best practices, appropriate risk allocation and mitigation, and a market rate of return reflecting the risks of the investment. The Principal Investment Officer is expected to work closely with other relevant AIIB departments, assist management in preparing strategies for building the investment pipeline and assist in implementing these strategies. Training and developing junior team members will be an important responsibility.
- Originate, structure and execute investment opportunities and maintain a strong investment pipeline by interacting with sponsors, banks, investors and fund managers;
- Lead investment teams of industry, legal, and safeguard specialists to conduct the due diligence on investment proposals;
- Manage key internal stakeholders and the AIIB investment approval process, ensuring that investments comply with AIIB’s policies and strategies;
- Work as a team player, including supporting management in achieving its targets and objectives; and
- Lead the private equity vertical in meeting its targets and objectives.
- Minimum 15 years of relevant work experience in the field of equity and/or fund-of-funds gained at a commercial/investment bank/asset management company and/or international financial institution;
- Experience in leading an investment team;
- Extensive experience in structuring comprehensive solutions across financial products using debt and guarantees, private equity and funds, as well as capital markets and structured products;
- Strong financial, analytical and credit skills;
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and organizational abilities, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Fluency in English is a must;
- Experience in Asian markets would be an advantage;
- Candidates with a master’s degree or equivalent, preferably in business administration or finance, are strongly preferred; and
- Candidates with a CFA designation are preferred.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
About the Organization
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. Headquartered in Beijing, we began operations in January 2016 and have now grown to 103 approved members worldwide. By investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors in Asia and beyond, we will better connect people, services and markets that over time will impact the lives of billions and build a better future.