Global Communities is seeking an experienced Private Sector Engagement Specialist for the South Sudan Gender Aware Sustainable Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Activity (GASWASH). The purpose of “The Activity”, is to expand gender-sensitive sustainable access to basic safe drinking water, basic sanitation coverage, and increase uptake of key hygiene behaviors to improve health and household resilience in accordance with USAID’s South Sudan strategy. The Activity is a five-year contract. This position will be based in Juba.
Please note that this position is contingent upon program award.
The Private Sector Engagement Specialist will lead the project’s private sector engagement and the development of entrepreneurs within the activity.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
Provide technical expertise and analyses on private sector development issues within South Sudan’s WASH sector, including the evolution of the WASH private sector,
Identify key stakeholders (including public and private sector actors, business associations, social enterprises, and consumers) and facilitate cooperation among these stakeholders in order to support expanded private sector engagement in the WASH sector.
Identify and support opportunities for entrepreneurs, particularly women and youth, related to the WASH sector, including identifying and developing strategies to overcome barriers to income generation.
Work in consultation, coordination and collaboration with GoSS authorities and public sector agencies to contributing to the transition towards a more commercialized WASH sector supply chain, where appropriate and underway.
Strengthen private sector engagement in WASH service delivery.
Provide technical expertise and analyses on private sector role in regulation, standardization and foster the private sector’s role in WASH supply chains, market linkages, and construction.
Represent the project on public-private sector issues at technical, policy and strategic planning meetings, including meetings with collaborators and donors.
* Education: Master’s Degree in business, management, economics, finance, or a similarly related field strongly preferred. Bachelors’ degree in a related field, required.
* 10 years’ work experience, minimum 5 years’ experience working with the private sector preferably in an international development context.
* Three or more years’ of progressively responsible experience implementing donor-funded development programs, preferably for USAID.
* Experience working with WASH and WASH related businesses is preferred.
* Experience with and/or knowledge of public-private partnerships and effective practices for private sector’s role in public service delivery
* Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
* Fluency in English (written and spoken) required
* Demonstrated experience in rural, low-income, and/or conflict-affected contexts required; experience in South Sudan preferred.
Local citizens are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
The mission of Global Communities (formerly CHF International) is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.