Procurement Officer, Nairobi, Kenya – Job Reference: PO/11/2018 (READVERTISEMENT)
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
AGRA is rolling out a 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers in 11 countries (Burkina Faso, Ghana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mali, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda). Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and while putting government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Procurement Officer.
Reporting to the Head of Procurement, the Procurement Officer will be responsible for overseeing all procurement activities concerning the East, West and Southern Africa Region. He/she will ensure that all procurement is undertaken as per laid down laws, rules and regulations, while enforcing transparency and accountability in the procurement process to ensure value for money. He/she will work in close collaboration with country teams and head office staff in executing procurement activities including preparation of procurement plans, prequalification of vendors, preparation of solicitation documents, evaluation of proposals, procurement record management and reporting.
The role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In liaison with the Head of Procurement, determine the institutions purchasing needs and specifications.
- Ensure procurement best practice is followed using the detailed guidelines provided in AGRA’s Procurement Manual.
- Assist the Head of Procurement in the preparation of annual procurement plans; ensuring that the plan is followed and executed in a timely manner.
- Review procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures for office and project equipment, supplies and services in a transparent and cost effective manner.
- Publish; distribute invitations to pre-qualify, pre-qualification documents, invitations to express interest, request for proposal (RFP) incorporating terms of reference (TOR) or request for quotation (RFQ), Statement of works etc.
- Receive and safeguard applications to pre-qualify, expressions of interest, proposals and quotations.
- Obtain quotes and compile comparable prices to facilitate the determination of future purchases.
- Participate in bid opening(s).
- Provide oversight and guidance in technical and financial evaluations.
- For pre-qualified suppliers; forward the results of the evaluation committees to the Procurement Committee for adjudication and approval through an agenda.
- In consultation with the Head of Procurement, conduct negotiations on contractual agreements with suppliers to ensure added value, lowest total cost while ensuring quality is not compromised.
- Assist the Head of procurement to sensitize staff on a regular basis on the procurement process through regular updates and staff trainings.
- Maintain tender/contract register.
- Enforce the procurement and contracting process and follow up on what is due.
- Continuously develop and manage supplier relationships to deliver breakthrough performance in cost, service and quality.
- Assist the Head of Procurement in any internal and external audits and the maintenance of a running list of previous audit recommendations and the status of their implementation.
- Contribute to success stories or other communications that seek to highlight the positive impact of AGRA’s procurement operations.
- Any other duty allocated by the Supervisor.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience:
- At least a bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, economics, finance, operations, or a related area from a reputable institution.
- Certification such as the CPSM from the Institute for Supply Management or a near equivalent from firms such as the American Purchasing Society, Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply, International Purchasing and Supply Chain Management Institute, The International Federation of Purchasing and Supply Management and others.
Must be a member of a recognized Procurement Professional body i.e. KISM or CIPS.
- At least 7 years of procurement experience, with 5 years of experience at officer level preferably in a multi program International NGO.
- Team player with strong leadership skills.
- Solid operational management and general business skills.
- Demonstrate experience in public procurement.
- Working knowledge of finance and/or accounting in terms of budgeting, cost management, financial accounting, treasury, risk management, etc
- Industry knowledge in terms of broad industry dynamics on the buy-side (and the sell-side), but also the internal knowledge and “language of the business”.
- Excellent communication, listening skills that allows you to get the “voice of the internal customer” and to understand the organizational culture and how to best communicate procurement’s value to it.
- In-depth knowledge of sourcing and procurement principles and best practices.
- Possess strong negotiation skills.
- Experience with modern sourcing and procurement systems.
- Familiarity with relevant legislative and regulatory requirements, as well as understanding of standard contractual terms and conditions to mitigate legal risk.
- Strategic mindset and problem-solving skills.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for this role, please submit your application with a detailed CV, stating your current position, email, and telephone contacts and quoting the reference number for the position you are applying for on the application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the job reference number in the subject line of the application e-mail. To be considered, applications must be received by 23rd January, 2019. (Candidates who had applied previously need not apply again).
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer