The Program Analyst reports to the HRH Program Manager and provides technical assistance, analytical and operational support across a range of ThinkWell in-country projects. In Mozambique, ThinkWell has a growing portfolio in strengthening health systems, including technical assistance in management of human resources for health, health financing, policy and planning, PFM, GRH management and PBI, operational research and evaluation for health systems, health policy, and system research.
ThinkWell is a trusted partner to the MoH, working with various donors including CDC, USAID, the World Bank and WHO. The Analyst will support both the Mozambican Ministry of Health in monitoring the impacts of COVID-19 and the DPC (Directorate of Planning and Cooperation) in improving management of their health Information Systems. The Analyst brings strong quantitative skills and research capacity (usually in health economics and financing) as well as a solid understanding of the design, implementation and evaluation of health financing policy reform. The Analyst typically serves as an individual contributor on a project team.
What You’ll Do:
With the objective of monitoring the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and the national response on service provision and access to essential health care services, the analyst will contribute support to the following:
- Support in the analysis of service provision data at the national, provincial and district level
- Design and implement in-depth analyses to gain insight on geographical information and specific areas of care such as MCH, infectious diseases, and in-patient care
- Design KPIs to identify districts and health facilities that require attention from decision-makers
- Support in the development of a dashboard to streamline the monitoring or disruptions in community of care
- Conduct statistical analysis to establish relationships between changes in service provision and the national response to the COVID-19 pandemic (e.g. interrupted time series)
- Support DHS database maintenance, data cleaning and monthly updates
- Create graphics and visualization of data for presentations and reports
- Support in any additional analysis that may be requested by institutional actors and development partners
With the objective of supporting the National Directorate of Planning and Cooperation of the Mozambican Ministry of Health in improving management of their health information systems, the analyst will work with the ThinkWell project team to:
- Define and improve data verification, quality control, data cleaning routines, and protocols for the DPC
- Support the DPC staff in defining key indicators, data analyses and visualizations for monitoring health system progress
- Assist in building the capacity of DPC staff to carry out routine data quality management, data analyses, and data visualizations
- Liaise with both national authorities and implementing partners to provide project updates
- Participate in virtual technical working groups to provide technical support to the Ministry of Health as required by the project
- Participate in other quantitative/qualitative analysis across areas of the program portfolio as required
Management and New Business
- Liaise with external project counterparts and support co-creation of project design and deliverables
- Contribute to business development, including conducting desk research, providing technical input, and supporting proposal writing
- Effectively collaborate with the Mozambique Country Office team to expand the organizations portfolio
Project Administration and Operations
- Provide thoughtful input across a range of ThinkWell projects regarding product framing and presentation
- Act as a cultural liaison for incoming staff- work with incoming analysts on ThinkWell approach, processes, and culture
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:
Influence the conversation
Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills and behaviors that align with our values and are expected of all employees.
An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and challenge conventional wisdom.
A change maker who reaches independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and seeks innovation.
Able to help create an empowering environment in which everyone feels free to take initiative, be accountable and fail intelligently (learn from mistakes).
A collaborative colleague who engages constructively with people from different cultures, orientations, and perspectives and maintains positive relations in a virtual world.
Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement. You always question and continuously learn.
Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- BA/BS and 5+ years experience or graduate degree and 3+ years experience;
- Relevant work experience in a management consulting firm, bilateral or multilateral development agency, and/or international NGO, preferably with some experience managing projects in low- or middle-income countries;
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint required; proficiency in statistical analysis packages (e.g. STATA) preferred;
- Exceptional analytical, research and problem solving capabilities;
- A thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of our work;
- Tech savvy and skilled at visual display of data;
- Demonstrated poise and professionalism in engaging with external partners, donors, and stakeholders;
- English proficiency and Portuguese desirable;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas;
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25%.
About the Organization
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done.