Requisition ID: req2514
Job Title: Program Assistant
Sector: Program Administration
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The IRC’s International Programs focus on various relief and rehabilitation programs for refugees, internally displaced persons and communities affected by conflict in different regions worldwide. The Asia Region is managed by a regional team that oversees the region’s country programs, headed by a Regional Vice President (RVP), and Deputy Region Director (DRD), supported by a Regional Grants Director, Regional Program Officer (PO), a Regional Grants Advisor (RGA), two Program Managers (PM) and a Program Assistant (PA). These programs focus on different sectors, including health; economic wellbeing, power, education and safety.
The International Programs Department (IPD) Operations team is headed by a Senior Vice President for International Programs, a Vice President for IPD Operations, two IPD Officers, a Department Manager, and an IPD Program Assistant (PA).
The Program Assistant will be a split 50/50 between the Asia Regional Team and the IPD Operations team and will be based in New York. The position reports to the Asia Program Officer and the IPD Department Manager, working closely with members of both teams. S/he will provide administrative HQ support as well as support to the IRC’s Regional Office and country offices in the region. This position will also be called upon to support the International Programs Department Senior Management Team, working closely with IPD Administrative Assistants and Senior Management.
* Assist in organizing logistics and meetings for field staff visiting HQ;
* Visa application support including preparing visa letters, embassy runs, etc. for senior staff
* Assist in organizing conferences, trainings and workshops
* Manage regional call calendar and provide call support/notes
* Set up high-level meetings, conference calls and web meetings for senor leadership;
* Ensure team files are organized and kept up to date
* Perform office administrative tasks, such as photocopying, scanning, mailing, and filing;
* Work with IPD’s Department Manager and field offices to ensure accurate staffing information is maintained throughout the department
* Track leave for HQ-based staff
* Maintain detailed lists of the region’s grants by country, including reporting deadlines, and alert colleagues as appropriate;
* Obtain Delegations of Authority, Powers of Attorney, and other documents as needed to facilitate field office operations;
* Obtain signatures on grant agreements, amendments, and other required documents;
* Work with country office grants staff to ensure OTIS (web-based grants management system) is up to date;
* Assist in finalizing and submitting grant proposal packages and donor reports
Internal and External Communications
* Assist the Asia Program Officer and Program Manager to obtain and maintain updated summary information on the region’s country programs, and to help draft summaries as requested;
* Assist in maintaining up-to-date information for the IRC’s intranet site.
* Participate in special projects as needed.
* Support IPD Senior Management as requested.
* University degree
* 1-2 years previous work experience is a must
* Attention to detail; Ability to manage multiple, competing deadlines and priorities
* Previous experience in the humanitarian sector a plus
* Customer service attitude
* Fluency in all standard PC office software such as Word, Outlook, Excel
* Familiarity with basic budgeting, accounting and grants management principles
* Excellent interpersonal communication skills; Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a fast paced environment, within and across departments/functions and develop positive relationships with local and remote staff
* Excellent oral and written communications skills (English) required
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
Key Working Relationships
* Position Reports to: Asia Region Program Officer, IPD Department Manager
* Position directly supervises: n/a
* Works closely with: RVP, DRD, Regional Grants Director, Program Officer, Program Manager, IPD Senior Management and Administrative staff
About the Organization
From emergency response through post-conflict development work, in a great variety of roles around the world, the International Rescue Committee’s 8,000-plus staff is a force for humanity and hope. If you’re skilled and passionate, we’d like to add your energy to ours.
Careers at the IRC are as wide-ranging and far-reaching as our work. Encouraging staff development through promotion, transfer and rehire, the IRC nurtures long-term career paths and helps employees grow within the organization.
At any given moment, on any given day, all around the world, IRC staff members are restlessly and effectively working for the sake of the most vulnerable among us—to restore and renew hope, dignity and freedom.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.