Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day to day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include:
Excellence- We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom- We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency- We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
The Program Associate (PA) is the entry level position for program work at IRI, and provides administrative and programmatic support for current and developing programs in the Southern Africa region (to include Zimbabwe, Angola, Zambia, Mozambique – exact country portfolio to be dependent on existing funding and specific staffing needs).
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations, conflict management, African affairs or related field.
- 0-1 year of experience in international development, African affairs or related field
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint required.
- Excellent writing, research and communication skills.
- International experience preferred.
- Knowledge of/experience working on issues in Southern Africa region a plus.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Tracks and follows-up on pending procurement requests, approvals and monitoring once approved, including processing payments
- Assist in monitoring project spending and projecting costs
- Drafts quarterly, semi-annual, final and other relevant reports for funders
- Edit and summarize weekly reports for internal and funder audiences
- Compiles and facilitates submission of contract packages
- Updates program databases, contract trackers, etc.
- Compiles briefing books for trainers
- Maintains project site and documents
- Provides logistical support for DC meetings and events for the Regional Division
- Supports IRI’s communication strategy including IRI’s branding and outreach plans on projects assigned, including drafts and updates program summaries and other outreach materials, drafts web stories/blogs, tweets, etc.
- Regularly reads about political developments in countries assigned and contributes toward summarizing/analyzing these developments in quarterly reports, proposals and memos for division leadership and/or the Front Office.
- Assists with program monitoring and evaluation (M&E), including participating in regular M&E calls, tracking compliance with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan, and identifying where adjustments need to be made
- Participates in program design and strategy brainstorming sessions
- Participates in business development, such as in writing proposal portions and drafting budgets
- Participates in cross functional teams and initiatives
- Performs other duties as assigned.
About the Organization
IRI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization committed to advancing freedom and democracy worldwide by helping political parties to become more issue-based and responsive, assisting citizens to participate in government planning, and working to increase the role of marginalized groups in the political process – including women and youth.