About Mandela Washington Fellowship Program
The Mandela Washington Fellowship is the ﬂagship program of the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI). It aims to build the skills of young African leaders to improve the accountability and transparency of Governments, start their own businesses, and serve their communities. The Fellowship provides leaders from 49 countries in sub-Saharan Africa with the opportunity to develop their skills through 6 weeks of intensive executive leadership training at a U.S. university.
When the Fellows return home, they have the opportunity to continue their professional development through follow-on activities in Africa, including professional Practicums, Mentoring, and Conferences. This programming is sponsored by USAID and implemented by IREX.
Summary of Position:
The Program Coordinator will provide logistical and administrative support to the Mandela Washington Fellowship’s programming in the East Africa Region. Under the supervision of the Regional Manager, the Program Coordinator will work closely with colleagues from Eastern Africa, West Africa, Southern Africa and Washington, and Regional partners to facilitate activities including, but not limited to, Practicums, Mentorships, Speaker Travel Grants (STGs), networking and learning events, and Conferences.
Duties and Responsibilities;
- Works closely with the Regional Advisory Board (RAB) to ensure they are best equipped to act as representatives for the Fellows and the project. This includes, preparing them for external meetings, developing Regional Conference approach and content, and identifying strategic programming opportunities throughout the region
- Regional lead: Coordinates the STG and collaboration grant programs alongside the Regional Points of Contacts (PoCs), including review of applications, targets and budget oversight
- Manages the Collaboration grant process for East Africa including collation of applications, monitoring of successful grants and development of success stories
- Identifies and develops strategic partnerships in collaboration with Regional Manager
- Maintains oversight responsibility for all M&E efforts, including tracker updates and reporting for the region
- Contributes to planning and implementation of RAB meetings and annual Conference
- Responsible for drafting the region’s input into the bi-weekly and quarterly reporting.
- Point of contact in the Regional office for STG success stories and Fellow updates for IREX HQ for bi-weekly and quarterly reporting
- Supports the establishment of Practicum and Mentorship opportunities with the Project Officer
- Ensures compliance of relevant program activities with IREX and donor regulations
- Represents IREX at external events, including functioning as Acting Regional Manager as needed
- Informally supervises the Project Officer
- Other duties as assigned that contribute to the overall success of the project.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in international affairs/development, international education, or related field;
- Experience with, and interest in, youth development programs;
- Knowledge of and experience with project design, grant management, and budgeting;
- Strong communication skills including in writing and editing;
- Detail-oriented with ability to multitask, prioritize, and remain flexible while adhering to strict deadlines in a fast-paced working environment;
- Ability to work in a team environment, including team members in multiple time zones across a variety of organizations;
- Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills;
- Proven communication and organizational skills with demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity;
- Excellent ability to remain flexible while adhering to strict deadlines;
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office software and Google communications, publishing and web analytics tools, and social media;
- Experience working on USG funded or international projects highly preferred;
- Knowledge of and experience with large-scale event coordination highly preferred;
- Experience using salesforce would be an added advantage
How to apply:
Please email your CV and cover letter to MWF_Recruitment@irex.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
About the Organization
IREX is an international nonprofit organization providing thought leadership and innovative programs to promote positive lasting change globally. We promote better lives through education, the development of civil society and independent media, and the establishment of strong and enduring institutions that contribute to human development. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $80 million and a staff of 400 professionals worldwide.